Looking for information on a Peter Kennedy.

Carol Kennedy

Oct 9, 2020, 8:40:53 AM10/9/20
to Ayrshire History

I really need help with a brick wall I have faced in my genealogy research for a long time. I cannot find parents for a 4th Great-Grandfather Peter Kennedy. I will add the information I do have on him and then if anyone can point me in a direction to possibly extend my research.

Peter Kennedy was born around 1802 as on his Trinity House documentation it states that he went to sea at the age of 16 in 1818 and was employed in the Merchant Sea Service for 29 years. I know for certain during his marine career  he was a master on the brig Magog of Ayr but I can't find any other information about the ships he sailed on. A possibility is Lord Hungerford from Sydney to London.

Peter married Margaret Hunter on 27th August 1830 in Newton on Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland. They had 6 children (in order of birth) Margaret Caldwell Kennedy, John Kennedy, Adam Kennedy, Peter Kennedy, Elizabeth Jane Kennedy and Gilbert Kennedy. According to all children’s birth certificates they were born in Newton on Ayr. The family stayed in Ayrshire but Peter is not in the 1841 census but this could be due to being at sea.

According to Trinity House documents Peter died on the 10th July 1847 from Typhus fever when he was transporting immigrants from Ireland to Quebec during the famine.

I believe that Peter’s parents could have been named John Kennedy and Elizabeth based on the tradition in Scotland for naming children. As their first daughter and second son were named after Margaret’s parents. I also believe that Peter may have had a brother named John as there is a name John Kennedy on the trinity house documents.

I suspect that Peter may have been Irish. Was it common for Irish to immigrate and settle in Ayr?

Does anyone know how I can confirm the parents of Peter Kennedy?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Gaming Bean25

Oct 10, 2020, 8:18:43 AM10/10/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi all I can answer is you can actually see Ireland from Ayr beach .My grandparents came over from Ireland and settled in Ayrshire a few mold from Syr it was very common 😆

Julie Walton

Oct 10, 2020, 8:18:44 AM10/10/20
to 'Kirsty Jess-Taylor' via Ayrshire History
Hi,
Sorry, I can’t help with your family query but I have the following of Irish descent in Ayrshire in my family tree suggesting immigration to Ayrshire:

Alexander Bruce born abt 1800 in Ireland, married Ochiltree, Ayrshire in 1825. Birth location from census records.

William Torbet born abt 1830, Ireland, and Agnes Lowrie McSkimming born abt 1835, Ireland who married in Ireland 1853. Birth location from census records and marriage date given on daughter’s birth certificate born 1868. I have since found what I think is their marriage on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie, which I didn’t find very intuitive and doesn’t seem to have that much data but eventually found what I thought was them. They came from the Bangor area.

Good luck with your research.

Julie