Failford Almshouse and quarrymen cottages

Alison Chalmers

Oct 20, 2023, 8:05:56 AM10/20/23
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any information about the row of cottages, which includes the Failford Inn, in Failford, South Ayrshire. I had always thought these were the Almshouse but looking at an old map I see the Almshouses were not on the main road but by the saw mill. I found a newspaper cutting from 1943 about a fatal fire there. Does anyone know of any pictures of the Almshouses or any writing information about the row of cottages, which I believe were home to quarrymen.
Thanks in anticipation

Alison Chalmers

Oct 26, 2023, 4:59:27 PM10/26/23
to Ayrshire History

Julie Walton

Oct 27, 2023, 7:33:53 AM10/27/23
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
The only information I have is of the Almshouses:

Margaret PATON, my 3rd G Grandmother is described in 1881 census as "(Inmate) (Single) Aged 79” living at "Alms House, Tarbolton”. The previous address on the census is Hamlet of Failford.

Subsequently, I found the following on http://www.ayrshirehistory.com/pdf/guide_part1.pdf

"A hospital was established at Failford in 1849, under the settlement of the late Mr Alexander Cooper. The said settlement provides:- "No persons shall be admitted as inmates of the house excepting such as have been five years resident in the parishes of Tarbolton or Mauchline, who are upwards of 40 years of age, and who, either from misfortune or infirmity, are unable to support themselves, and who have not been in the habit at any time of public begging."

There are eight inmates in the house, four from each of the parishes named. Failford is distant nearly three miles from Tarbolton, and eight miles from Ayr.”

My 3rd G Grandmother was from Mauchline.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failford#The_Failford_almshouses states:

"The Failford almshouses

One unusual feature of the village is a range of Almshouses that were constructed using funds from a bequest and had conditions of character, situation and age attached as recorded in 1846 :- "A range of almshouses was erected and endowed, by a bequest of the late Alexander Cooper, Esq., of Smithston, at Failford, near the junction of the Ayr and Fail rivers, for eight persons, who have each a weekly allowance and an allotment of garden ground. The hospital is spacious and handsome, and is designed for inhabitants of Tarbolton and Mauchline, in indigent circumstances, upwards of forty years of age, and who have never solicited alms”.”

There is also information about them on https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-62/56. You may get information about the other buildings by scrolling back and forth on this last link.

Sorry I can’t be of more help,

Julie

Alison Chalmers

Oct 29, 2023, 11:45:42 AM10/29/23