Voice Feedback Won't Turn Off

Sarai Kindred

Mar 1, 2014, 12:25:58 AM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
My son has a knack for turning on the Chromevox feedback on my Acer Chromebook almost every time he gets a hold of it. I've always just gone to the settings to turn it off under the accessibility settings but this time it's not checked. I've tried restarting and going back to the settings and it's still not checked. I looked up the hot key and it says that I just double tap my search key, but I have the new Chromebook that has a capslock where the old search key was. Tried double tapping capslock, no luck.

It's loud and annoying and makes it really hard to type how do I turn this off?

Portia Scott

Mar 1, 2014, 2:50:55 AM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sarai,

Press control+Alt+Z

Hth,

Portia.
On Feb 28, 2014, at 9:25 PM, Sarai Kindred <kindre...@gmail.com> wrote:

My son has a knack for turning on the Chromevox feedback on my Acer Chromebook almost every time he gets a hold of it. I've always just gone to the settings to turn it off under the accessibility settings but this time it's not checked. I've tried restarting and going back to the settings and it's still not checked. I looked up the hot key and it says that I just double tap my search key, but I have the new Chromebook that has a capslock where the old search key was. Tried double tapping capslock, no luck.

It's loud and annoying and makes it really hard to type how do I turn this off?

Kevin Fjelsted

Mar 1, 2014, 10:39:46 AM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
I get no speech from ChromeVox under Mavericks 10.9.2 build 13C64 (latest update).

This is true regardless if VoiceOver is on or off.
Anyone else having this issue?
Is there a work around?
-Kevin

Bryan Jones

Mar 1, 2014, 2:36:04 PM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kevin,

I am experiencing the same problem you mentioned. I was able to get back some level of ChromeVox speech by switching the ChromeVox voice from a Google voice to one of the Mac voices using the following steps.

1. Launch Chrome.
2. In the Chrome address/search bar, type chrome://extensions and press Return.
3. Use standard VO commands to interact with the resulting page and navigate to the ChromeVox extension. If you are unable to use VO to interact with the page, try pressing Command + Control+AA
to turn off ChromeVox. It is possible for ChromeVox to be active even when no spoken feedback is being provided, and I find it difficult or impossible to use VO to interact with web pages if ChromeVox is active.
4. Activate the “Options” button for the ChromeVox extension.
5. In the resulting ChromeVox Options page, select one of the installed MacOS voices rather than a Google voice.
6. Quit and restart Chrome.

This was done on a 2013 Macbook Air
MacOS version 10.9.2 Build 13C64
Chrome browser Version 33.0.1750.117
ChromeVox Extension version 1.31.2

HTH,
Bryan

"The Dusky Wizard()"

Mar 1, 2014, 12:43:14 PM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Which channel of Chrome are you using?

Bill

"The Dusky Wizard()"

Mar 1, 2014, 3:47:51 AM3/1/14
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Go to chrome://extensions and be sure the Chrome Vox extension is not installed.

Bill

John R. Sowash

May 26, 2015, 7:53:18 PM5/26/15
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com, thedusk...@gmail.com
+1 to Bill's recommendation. Evidently ChromeVox is listed in the Accessibility section of the browser settings (where most of us are accustomed to working with it) but can ALSO be installed as a straight extension. I had it turned off in settings, but the extension was still enabled.

John Sowash
@jrsowash
ElectricEducator.com

On Mar 1, 2014, at 2:50, Portia Scott <portiap...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Sarai,

Press control+Alt+Z

Hth,

Portia.
On Feb 28, 2014, at 9:25 PM, Sarai Kindred <kindre...@gmail.com> wrote:

My son has a knack for turning on the Chromevox feedback on my Acer Chromebook almost every time he gets a hold of it. I've always just gone to the settings to turn it off under the accessibility settings but this time it's not checked. I've tried restarting and going back to the settings and it's still not checked. I looked up the hot key and it says that I just double tap my search key, but I have the new Chromebook that has a capslock where the old search key was. Tried double tapping capslock, no luck.

It's loud and annoying and makes it really hard to type how do I turn this off?

James Vaughan

Sep 11, 2017, 5:49:33 PM9/11/17
to axs-chrome-discuss

On Saturday, 1 March 2014 18:25:58 UTC+13, Sarai Pope wrote:
My son has a knack for turning on the Chromevox feedback on my Acer Chromebook almost every time he gets a hold of it. I've always just gone to the settings to turn it off under the accessibility settings but this time it's not checked. I've tried restarting and going back to the settings and it's still not checked. I looked up the hot key and it says that I just double tap my search key, but I have the new Chromebook that has a capslock where the old search key was. Tried double tapping capslock, no luck.

It's loud and annoying and makes it really hard to type how do I turn this off?

Google Chrome60.0.3112.112 (Official Build(32-bit)
Revision0
Platform9592.85.0 (Official Build) stable-channel kevin
Firmware VersionGoogle_Kevin.8785.178.0

I can't get rid of vox.
alt ctrl z doesn't work entirely.
I have also disabled vox in settings but vox still continues shouting at me.

James Vaughan

Sep 11, 2017, 5:49:33 PM9/11/17
to axs-chrome-discuss

Edward Rubesch

Sep 27, 2017, 4:12:40 PM9/27/17
to axs-chrome-discuss
I am having a similar problem: all accessibility functions for Chrome Vox are off, but it keeps talking.  I can only MUTE to make it quiet, but that is annoying when I want to listen to music or watch a video.

I've have used Chromebooks for several years and my current machine for several months but this problem seems to have just popped up--was there a recent update that changed something?

Laura Eberly

Sep 28, 2017, 4:33:12 PM9/28/17
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hello everyone,

Thanks as always for submitting your issues here. I have consolidated these issue reports into this one master bug: www.crbug.com/761185

Our developer is actively looking into this. At this time, we suspect that the problem lies in the interaction between your ChromeBook and any ARC apps used through the Google Play store. Please try this as a workaround while we work on a more comprehensive fix:

1. Go to Settings
2. Search for 'Android'
3. Select the Play Store in the search results
4. Select Disable Play Store

The screen reader settings associated with the Play Store should stop speaking at this point. If any screen readers persist, please try hitting ctrl + alt + z one more time to turn off ChromeVox.

After everything is off, you can enable the Play Store again and see if it works as expected.

Please update that bug with more information about your device. You can do so by going to chrome://version, copying the first four lines, and pasting it as a reply to us. I'll be updating that bug with more information as I get it. Here's an example of the information that we are looking for:

Google Chrome60.0.3112.112 (Official Build) (32-bit)
Revision0
Platform9592.85.0 (Official Build) stable-channel kevin
Firmware VersionGoogle_Kevin.8785.178.0

Thanks,

Laura

Laura Eberly

Oct 6, 2017, 3:05:10 PM10/6/17
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hi everyone,

Please try using your ChromeBook in the Beta channel and let me know if this is improved. We implemented a fix that is in the Beta and Dev channels now so we'd appreciate your input.

Instructions on changing your channel can be found here: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1086915?hl=en

Thanks,

Laura

Nimer Jaber

Oct 6, 2017, 3:16:16 PM10/6/17
to axs-chrome-discuss
Works fine in Canary.

Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

My mission is to bring love and peace to everyone around me with all tools available to me.
My core values are integrity, innovation, loyalty, excellence, and 100% personal responsibility.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (218-606-0475) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Laura Eberly

Oct 9, 2017, 2:43:17 PM10/9/17
to axs-chrome-discuss
Thanks, Nimer! :)

If anyone else if still having trouble, please let me know.

Thanks,

Laura
Works fine in Canary.

Will Chapman

Oct 27, 2017, 1:08:19 PM10/27/17
to axs-chrome-discuss

Laura

Just let you know that I am experiencing the same problems of a ChromeVox that doesn't know when to stop speaking.

I'll try the Dev version as you suggest.

Regards

Will

Davien Littlefield

Jan 8, 2018, 2:41:27 PM1/8/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
asus flip 200 series
chrome vox has hijacked my chromebook
i use control alt z but as soon as I touch any key it starts reading aloud and all other keys are disabled
so I can not turn off chromebook , shut a open window, or type anything
Help  how do you turn off this app?
Davien

Laura Eberly

Jan 8, 2018, 5:45:20 PM1/8/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hi Davien,

There was a bug that caused this that has been fixed. The fix should be in the stable version now so please make sure your Chromebook is up to date. Instructions on updating your Chromebook are available on our help page here. If you continue to have issues, please just let me know which version of Chrome OS you're running by going to chrome://version and copying the numbers from the top.

Thanks,

Laura

Doug Holbrook

Jan 21, 2018, 9:29:19 PM1/21/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
I am still experiencing this problem, the only fix I have found is to force restart the Chromebook. The pink box starts highlighting and reading (not sure what starts it) but the only thing that works to stop it is to force restart.  Two images attached showing pink reading box and that the accessibility option of is turned off.  Shortcut keys do not work to turn it off.

Google Chrome63.0.3239.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)Revision0Platform10032.86.0 (Official Build) stable-channel samusFirmware VersionGoogle_Samus.6300.174.0Customization IDSAMUSARC4524559JavaScriptV8 6.3.292.49Flash28.0.0.137 /opt/google/chrome/pepper/libpepflashplayer.soUser AgentMozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 10032.86.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.140 Safari/537.36
Screenshot 2018-01-21 at 11.01.29.png
Screenshot 2018-01-21 at 10.59.06.png

David Tseng

Jan 22, 2018, 12:01:50 AM1/22/18
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Sounds like you have the Select to Speak feature enabled:

which uses a pink highlight. Go ahead and follow the directions above to disable it.

HTH,
David

Laura Eberly

Jan 22, 2018, 5:37:45 PM1/22/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hi Doug,

Thanks for this well written bug report with great screenshots. I wanted to further add to David's advice that I saw that you took a picture of the Status Bar > Accessibility menu and that everything was unchecked. Since Select to Speak was absent, it couldn't be unchecked there. I opened this feature request to get Select to Speak put into that menu for ease of toggling on and off: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=804506

Please let me know if you have further questions or comments.

Thanks,

Laura

Tim Patmont

Feb 18, 2018, 2:10:46 PM2/18/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 11:41:27 AM UTC-8, Davien Littlefield wrote:
asus flip 200 series
chrome vox has hijacked my chromebook
i use control alt z but as soon as I touch any key it starts reading aloud and all other keys are disabled
so I can not turn off chromebook , shut a open window, or type anything
Help  how do you turn off this app?
Davien

I have exactly this same problem, it is so annoying.  No idea what starts it, but IMPOSSIBLY to turn off once it starts and only way to get it to freaking stop is to force shutdown!   I've installed every update whenever I'm prompted to do so.. Sometimes one right after another 3 or 4 times in a row (also annoying) .  What the hell is up with this please!!  I am being very honest when I say I absolutely hate chromebook.  I thought I hated Windows Vista, but Chrome is even worse (and not just because of the issues I just mentioned, there are a host of others as well!).  I've had this problem for nearly two years... still no fix for this, What the hell!  Google, consider spending less of you effort censoring youtube and maybe fix the part of your flagship operating system that makes users want to smash the thing into the curb and into a million pieces.  I give you that marketing advise no charge.

Laura Eberly

Mar 5, 2018, 5:48:31 PM3/5/18
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hi Tim,

Here's a few options for you that should help.

First, for individual troubleshooting and assistance, we have a team dedicated to serving accessibility users. Here's an article about that: https://www.google.com/accessibility/blog/post/announce-disability-support.html

Second, I'd like to review some other possibilities:
  • There are two services on your Chromebook that may be speaking. One is ChromeVox which is the screen reader which can be turned off by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Z or by disabling in settings. The other is Select to Speak which can be disabled in Settings. Here's more info on that: https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7349565?hl=en
  • There was a bug in the past regarding apps downloaded from the Play Store on Chromebooks. The issue was that the Play Store apps used a separate screen reader from the one on the main operating system and it could be stuck on even after toggling the screen reader off with ctrl + alt + z. We resolved that bug in a previous version of Chrome than the one currently shipping on the Stable channel. Here's the bug, please let us know if this is what you're seeing: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=761185
  • If neither of the above help, please give us more details on your specific issue so that we may open a bug and investigate. Which apps or services are you using when this happens? Does pressing ctrl + alt + z to turn off ChromeVox have any effect?
Thanks,

Laura

Tim Patmont

Mar 12, 2018, 1:35:52 PM3/12/18
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your personal response.  I appreciate that and I should apologize for my rant...  As you can tell, I was simply very frustrated!  As for the issue, after mush research I think I finally got it sorted now.

I hope all is well, thank you,
Tim