issue with Chrome on the Mac

Mike Arrigo

Nov 17, 2020, 5:04:55 PM11/17/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
I don't think this is really a bug, but it is an issue, perhaps more of
a feature request. When using Chrome with voiceover on the mac, if an
element is clickable but not an actual link, Chrome does not indicate
this to Voiceover and therefore this indication is not spoken. This
does work in Windows with NVDA. Here is a page that demonstrates the issue.

https://www.centralvacuumstores.com/shop-by-brand/imperium/power-units/10703

The default sort is by position and the default number of items
displayed is 12, these are clickable elements but this is not indicated
by Voiceover. In my opinion this is bad web design, standard links or
buttons should always be used but this particular type of element is
actually very common. The fact that these are clickable is indicated
when using Safari and Firefox. Could this be added to Chrome on the Mac
so that when an element is clickable, Voiceover identifies it? I'd be
curious to know if this also happens on Chrome OS but I can't test that.

Steve Sawczyn

Nov 17, 2020, 5:24:39 PM11/17/20
to axs-chrome-discuss
Mike,
I may be looking at the wrong thing but using Chrome on the Mac, I see all the filter options as links. VoiceOver on Safari identifies them as “clickable” but in Chrome VO is saying “link” for all of them. Not sure if it matters, but I am upgraded to Big Sur, also using latest Chrome stable release. Are you talking about something different than the filters?

Steve

Mike Arrigo

Nov 18, 2020, 5:52:04 PM11/18/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps this is different in big Sur, I have not upgraded yet. With
Chrome 87 on Catalina, there is no identification in Chrome of what
Safari calls clickable. I usually wait for the first major update to a
new operating system but maybe I will go ahead and upgrade now.
Nov 18, 2020, 11:03:44 PM11/18/20
to axs-chrome-discuss
Hi Mike, My work Mac is still on Catalina, let me try that page on there tomorrow and see if I can replicate your results. I’d hate for you to upgrade only to have it not fix the issue.

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/axs-chrome-discuss/0e867bf9.0421.4db6.adc9.07efc61b9492%40samobile.net.

Mike Arrigo

Nov 19, 2020, 10:05:56 AM11/19/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would be very curious to see your catalina result. For me, the
elements I mentioned in the original message provide no indication that
they are clickable elements.
Nov 19, 2020, 12:19:29 PM11/19/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com, Mike Arrigo
In Chrome stable on Big Sur, the referenced items aren't identified as links or clickable by VO. To be specific, I believe we're talking about the "Sort by" and "Display" dropdowns under the "Shop All Imperium Power Units" heading, not the brand, filtration and other filters closer to the top of the page which do have linked options.

Overall, this makes sense because the dropdown labels are just plain text paragraphs. Some browser/screen reader combinations will identify them as clickable based on a heuristic, because there is a click or other event handler attached. But this heuristic can be wrong as much as it's right. I guess that's what's being asked for here in macOS Chrome.

Regards,

James Scholes, Digital Accessibility Engineer

Mike Arrigo

Nov 19, 2020, 7:52:43 PM11/19/20
to James Scholes, axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exactly. This type of element is actually quite common, I wish web sites would use standard links or standard buttons instead but unfortunately that's not the case. And yes, sometimes with Safari, an element will be identified as clickable when in fact clicking it doesn't do much of anything, but in many cases such as the one I provided, clicking those elements does actually do something but at the moment when using Chrome the user would need to actually click it to see if it did anything. If you try this page with Safari or Firefox the clickable attribute is spoken and Chrome does seem to provide this in Windows as well. It would be awesome if this worked with Chrome on the mac.