chromevox decides to show up on my chrome book and is annoying

Herlim Flores

Sep 9, 2015, 12:07:04 PM9/9/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
ctrl+alt+Z is used to disable but why do i have to do it everytime on startup? and why do i have to waste data on my chomebook constantly for a new tab and tutorial on how this stupid thing works. i get that its useful for the visually impaired but i never ask for for a program to constantly asserts itself on my chromebook? please can i get rid of this annoying program!!!

Winborn, Staci

Sep 9, 2015, 10:16:24 PM9/9/15
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
  • Open the tab on the bottom right hand corner of the screen that displays the battery, time, sound, etc
  • Click on accessibility
  • Click on "ChromeVox (Spoken feedback)
    • That will make the check mark go away and turn ChromeVox off.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Herlim Flores <hmrf...@gmail.com> wrote:
ctrl+alt+Z is used to disable but why do i have to do it everytime on startup? and why do i have to waste data on my chomebook constantly for a new tab and tutorial on how this stupid thing works. i get that its useful for the visually impaired but i never ask for for a program to constantly asserts itself on my chromebook? please can i get rid of this annoying program!!!

Aj B

Sep 25, 2015, 3:52:07 PM9/25/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
I have the same problem, and it only happens on startup. Once I sign in, it goes away. Do you have a samsung?

Chris Meredith

Sep 25, 2015, 9:17:49 PM9/25/15
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
You mean the exorcist didn't work?  Seriously, though--did you try turning off ChRomeVox at startup?  Alternatively, try power washing your machine and see if that setting goes away, if nothing else seems to work (I know I have to re-enable ChromeVox when I perform a factory reset (usually to go from dev to beta or beta to stable channel)).
As for the tutorial page, I myself could do without that popping up every time at login and am not sure why it insists on popping that up.  As a curiosity, how the deuce did you manage to get ChromeVox stuck in the On position anyway?

Herlim Flores

Sep 28, 2015, 2:08:37 AM9/28/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
yes i have a samsung chromebook. im not sure how i got this program. ctrl+alt+Z is a shortkey to do exactly what staci winborn suggested. i got my chrome book exactly setup the way i wanted and not sure if i want to go through the process getting it there after a powerwash. im not sure how chromevox always turns itself on every time. its a shame that such a effective laptop like this was so great for me has to be ruined by such a program that is mandatory. i see that other people on the forum has the same problem but not even the samsung people can effectively offer an option that gives user the ability to completely take this thing off

Sarah Alawami

Sep 28, 2015, 1:41:29 PM9/28/15
to google crome discuss
I don't see why you want to remove a tool that makes the chrome os ore accessible for the blind. It's like saying, let us remove the monitor from the computers, it's not needed and I hate it. It seems to me based on yoru message you are not totally blind or in need of any accessibility tools as that's what this list is to discuss.

Take care.

Trenton Matthews

Sep 28, 2015, 4:53:31 PM9/28/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
For the sake of completeness, sighted folks who need Chrome help should visit:
instead.

Herlim Flores

Sep 28, 2015, 10:06:36 PM9/28/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
i dont understand your comparison marie but what i do understand is that apps and control functions should be universal and either used or disposed by user. nowhere in this forum or anywhere online or any samsung representative ever addresses the issue as to how is it possible to remove this function. even older model laptops have visual disablility friendly tools but even so it was provided if you programed if right. its not a standard but it is a function which is accessible and completely optional. thank you trenton i will try my luck there and sorry for my rant its just that i thought this forum would help. i didnt know that there was another samsung community. thanks again folks

Aj B

Sep 28, 2015, 10:38:56 PM9/28/15
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
The use of Chromevox Accessibility features should be an option, not a forced feature. It's absolutely beneficial to those who are impaired, but by all means, it should not be a core part of the device's functionality, to the point where it can't be turned off or removed.

This is less of a complaint about the Chromevox features in general, but more of a complaint about it being irremovable for everyone else who doesn't need those features.

Sarah Alawami

Sep 28, 2015, 10:59:04 PM9/28/15
to google crome discuss
As a mac user who is blind the screen reader ships with the os and the sighted people have the opportunity to turn it off. This is the way google is doing this I think. If you don't like it go to best buy and get a windows tablet where it has no screen reader, at least not a good one.

Trenton Matthews

Sep 29, 2015, 6:22:41 AM9/29/15
to axs-chrome-discuss
Yep, that's how the mac, and for that matter, iOS devices work.

Must be something wrong with his Chromebook then...

Chromevox has been built-in to Chrome OS, since 2011, voiceover in the mac since 2005 I do believe.
Windows Narrator, (the better narrator,) since Windows 8. Its by design, that none of these screen readers, can be removed from their respective OS's.

BTW, that address I gave is for the "official" Chromebooks Community, not Samsung. So, whoever that was, may get a backlash from people,
though hopefully, he/she gets better help.

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 12:07:04 PM UTC-4, Herlim Flores wrote:
ctrl+alt+Z is used to disable but why do i have to do it everytime on startup? and why do i have to waste data on my chomebook constantly for a new tab and tutorial on how this stupid thing works. i get that its useful for the visually impaired but i never ask for for a program to constantly asserts itself on my chromebook? please can i get rid of this annoying program!!!

Aj B

Sep 29, 2015, 10:26:45 AM9/29/15
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
It's the way google intended for their device to work, but as a couple of us can see, it's not working that way. I'm quite happy with my chromebook, other than the fact that every time I turn my device on, the screen magnifies into a corner, where I can't even see where I'm typing, and no, I can't turn the feature off until I sign in. Not only that, but once I do sign in, google goes straight into the Chromevox instructions page, as if I actually wanted to go there, which I don't. That, to me, is a flaw in the functionality regarding Accessibility features. It may very well be a device-specific malfunction, but not being able to turn off or remove the thing that's causing me problems, the issue is now completely out of my control. However, I did try the powerwash someone suggested earlier, and the problem hasn't returned in the last few days. Also, to the person that started this thread, the powerwash didn't change any of my previous settings or apps, everything was the same afterwards, other than the Chromevox malfunction being removed.