Google Keep seems to be completely inaccessible using Chrome in Windows

Steve Nutt

Jul 14, 2020, 12:40:05 PM7/14/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi Googlers!

Using Chrome for Windows, if you go to https://keep.google.com and log in, and you have a list of notes in keep, how are you supposed to access them?

For example, I have notes shared by my wife, and I can screen search for “Angie Nutt” using JAWS, Narrator or NVDA and I can find notes shared, but I can’t read anything to do with the note.  There is a select note button, various others, and more actions.  But the content of the note seems to me to be completely inaccessible using Chrome for Windows.

The Keep app on Android is OK, which means I can use Keep, but the web experience is a completely inaccessible dog’s breakfast.  Or am I missing something?

This has been inaccessible for all time as far as I can see, I just hadn’t got round to reporting it.

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: st...@comproom.co.uk

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Aaron Leventhal

Jul 14, 2020, 1:17:51 PM7/14/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve, do you notice any important differences between Chrome and Firefox? Does it work better in Firefox?
Thanks,
Aaron

Steve Nutt

Jul 15, 2020, 6:25:25 AM7/15/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi Aaron,

Actually, it does, which is bizarre that Google’s browser doesn’t work with Google’s web app.

The difference is that Firefox sees all the edit boxes, so we can jump to and open them.  Chrome doesn’t even see the edit boxes.

Thanks for the heads up.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: st...@comproom.co.uk

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Aaron Leventhal

Jul 15, 2020, 2:24:54 PM7/15/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve, I'll have our Chrome accessibility testers look into it. Thanks!

Aaron Leventhal

Jul 15, 2020, 3:30:22 PM7/15/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve, do you mind checking which version of Chrome you are using? You can get it at chrome://version
Also, are you using JAWS 2020?
Thanks,
Aaron

Steve Nutt

Jul 16, 2020, 3:50:40 AM7/16/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi Aaron,

Yes, I am using JAWS 2020.  Here’s what I have on Chrome:-

Google Chrome:

84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: 84_Win_89)

Revision:

19abfe7bcba9318a0b2a6bc6634a67fc834aa592-refs/branch-heads/4147@{#852}

OS:

Windows 10 OS Version 2004 (Build 19041.329)

JavaScript:

V8 8.4.371.19

Flash:

32.0.0.403 C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\32.0.0.403\pepflashplayer.dll

User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.89 Safari/537.36

Command Line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-audio-service-sandbox

Executable Path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Profile Path:

C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Variations:

af81735d-ca7d8d80

dff70c3e-ca7d8d80

7a26526b-ca7d8d80

90a7075b-12ede6a2

d108a3fb-ca7d8d80

273268f8-f820de84

5534dde-ca7d8d80

c6221419-ca7d8d80

e7f526b8-ca7d8d80

9d6a857b-12ede6a2

3095aa95-3f4a17df

c27fec31-25357b9a

58b09e02-984afc5b

7c1bc906-ca7d8d80

38b9885d-12ede6a2

edb58ea9-ca7d8d80

71ed337-ca7d8d80

dc742ded-12ede6a2

ea79f558-3d47f4f4

6a5a04c0-ca7d8d80

65570806-377be55a

11d41960-377be55a

44dfcfee-ca7d8d80

a582a1b8-ad75ce17

eb1003e4-49b34a63

bb8c137e-377be55a

bb43302d-d27eb4cc

a2ea56f8-377be55a

5365f6dc-ca7d8d80

a7652a75-a366750a

78c2e0be-ca7d8d80

e4a357e9-ca7d8d80

37bfb3e1-ca7d8d80

2729b628-ca7d8d80

dc21e61a-ca7d8d80

5252c71-ca7d8d80

63777dd8-ca7d8d80

d71f73d1-ca7d8d80

2ea81b6f-ca7d8d80

164e9c81-377be55a

5e3a236d-4113a79e

142e58d7-ca7d8d80

29c62d4-ddd5198a

1beda558-ca7d8d80

40de7b13-377be55a

9e5c75f1-69babdbc

74b1c840-ca7d8d80

d8692482-ca7d8d80

7ddb3e63-20de79e6

40d0d1dc-ca7d8d80

e5574e83-194320e1

1ed7970d-377be55a

d3566fbd-ca7d8d80

cfc474d9-12ede6a2

e06975bf-6b37e66b

ce12bb93-ca7d8d80

4ea303a6-ecbb250e

8159c09d-12ede6a2

7aa46da5-c946b150

39b07835-ca7d8d80

a0cf144c-377be55a

904426fa-377be55a

74953df3-ca7d8d80

6c5d9571-ca7d8d80

29be5dec-bd440694

d3b43f99-b6730343

28be2392-ca7d8d80

9724a03e-ca7d8d80

fc88bcc9-377be55a

ef4764d7-44b82b4e

9d7ac5a3-ca7d8d80

15b41ad9-377be55a

a5641df4-12ede6a2

7760b5b2-ca7d8d80

c0a3e473-ca7d8d80

39baae47-12ede6a2

1354da85-6abb9e1e

931c5f72-ca7d8d80

494d8760-52325d43

f47ae82a-746c2ad4

3ac60855-486e2a9c

63dcb6a3-1185807e

e706e746-d48cec80

f296190c-c09932cb

4442aae2-6e3b1976

f690cf64-75cb33fc

ed1d377-e1cc0f14

75f0f0a0-d7f6b13c

e2b18481-cdc3d902

e7e71889-4ad60575

3a8271ac-12c226

ce149f14-ca7d8d80

5915d2b-ca7d8d80

6a2df91f-ca7d8d80

ae4c75f9-ca7d8d80

ffc4ca9f-12ede6a2

b95ca2d-12ede6a2

7f3f5a7a-353976eb

2ba8c62d-ca7d8d80

b53f3ef9-ca7d8d80

a4987e88-f9a43703

table end

I also tried it with Chrome Dev.

Version info:-

About Version

Google LLC

Copyright 2020 Google LLC. All rights reserved.

table with 2 columns and 10 rows

Google Chrome:

85.0.4183.26 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) (cohort: Dev)

Revision:

06c8006a3aa3ee4bca23b4741a6b66d6d9b8e755-refs/branch-heads/4183@{#532}

OS:

Windows 10 OS Version 2004 (Build 19041.329)

JavaScript:

V8 8.5.210.11

Flash:

32.0.0.387 C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome Dev\User Data\PepperFlash\32.0.0.387\pepflashplayer.dll

User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/85.0.4183.26 Safari/537.36

Command Line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome Dev\Application\chrome.exe" --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-audio-service-sandbox

Executable Path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome Dev\Application\chrome.exe

Profile Path:

C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome Dev\User Data\Default

Variations:

af81735d-f23d1dea

dff70c3e-f23d1dea

bcb409bf-f23d1dea

7a26526b-f8f77896

d108a3fb-3f4a17df

16e0dd70-3f4a17df

273268f8-f820de84

da89714-8cf9bccf

5534dde-f23d1dea

c6221419-64ddfd40

ef9faf3c-f23d1dea

e7f526b8-26bbc519

9d6a857b-f693470a

ca05d627-3f4a17df

c27fec31-a30230c

58b09e02-377be55a

7c1bc906-f23d1dea

38b9885d-7b69d700

edb58ea9-f23d1dea

7ef0936-377be55a

4c46dd24-f23d1dea

71ed337-720b026c

e9b35dd7-cb921fe6

dc742ded-92eca68e

8f000ce6-ca7d8d80

21108aa0-377be55a

ede3e5f7-3f4a17df

853cc81d-f23d1dea

6a5a04c0-803f8fc4

65570806-449b19dd

c865fdc1-efad1e7f

a582a1b8-ad75ce17

eb1003e4-49b34a63

bb43302d-d27eb4cc

5365f6dc-2d733e5f

1d606bb5-3f4a17df

b1c1108d-c89a9977

78c2e0be-3f4a17df

3042ad4b-6bb5a4c5

e4a357e9-c852053c

37bfb3e1-7c7ea110

2729b628-231d2508

dc21e61a-39328514

5252c71-ca7d8d80

f394654f-3d0b1843

63777dd8-efad1e7f

d71f73d1-3f4a17df

2ea81b6f-f23d1dea

164e9c81-f23d1dea

5e3a236d-59e286d0

142e58d7-f2d1370b

e7cb2a84-3f4a17df

29c62d4-3f4a17df

40de7b13-f23d1dea

405adac6-f23d1dea

13889834-3f4a17df

c743f1fa-f23d1dea

c992f345-875b0855

74b1c840-f23d1dea

d8692482-ca7d8d80

13ff0855-3e134520

7ddb3e63-20de79e6

40d0d1dc-3f4a17df

1c83bdde-3f4a17df

2f990be4-f23d1dea

3487aa71-86f8c66a

e5574e83-d37be048

cfc474d9-fba63322

e06975bf-6b39b60a

ce12bb93-7c7ea110

4ea303a6-ecbb250e

8c4a4826-3990f09e

8159c09d-f6a38c44

7aa46da5-c946b150

39b07835-3f4a17df

904426fa-377be55a

74953df3-62c734cd

e5d759fc-377be55a

6c5d9571-e7bc2f8d

28be2392-136fe0b8

9724a03e-3f4a17df

fc88bcc9-c4bdce1

ef4764d7-bd357d6b

9d7ac5a3-3f4a17df

a05687fd-9dffaf86

15b41ad9-377be55a

a5641df4-dc171a84

4207d5c9-3f4a17df

7760b5b2-9a03abd9

c0a3e473-f23d1dea

39baae47-f1d9d72f

f2083372-f23d1dea

931c5f72-f60a1041

494d8760-52325d43

3ac60855-486e2a9c

63dcb6a3-3fdb6cd0

e706e746-6bdfffe7

f296190c-da18db08

4442aae2-6e3b1976

f690cf64-6bdfffe7

ed1d377-e1cc0f14

75f0f0a0-6bdfffe7

e2b18481-6e597ede

e7e71889-e1cc0f14

3a8271ac-12c226

f98b6633-181eac74

ce149f14-f23d1dea

5915d2b-1410f10

47d599bc-28f4203

6a2df91f-f23d1dea

ae4c75f9-f23d1dea

7975f5b5-ca7d8d80

27435f03-90d29f40

2ba8c62d-ee63ae02

b53f3ef9-fa33c2ba

a4987e88-f9a43703

a227eb50-3f4a17df

table end

Still inaccessible with that version.

It’s still clunky with Firefox, but certainly do-able.  The edit boxes open up as you approach them.  It would be better if the title of each note were there so that you could press enter to open it.

Keep is weird though in several respects, it is also weird on iOS as an app as well.  It loses focus all over the place, and you can’t edit using the rota for example.  My wife is always complaining about that, but we love the collaboration features.  Get it more accessible, pretty please?

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: st...@comproom.co.uk

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Ana G

Jul 17, 2020, 11:45:00 PM7/17/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Google Keep wasn't always broken. I used to use it about once a month. I haven't used it much in the last couple of years, so I hadn't noticed that it's less usable. As things are now, I can read the notes, but the process is not ideal.

I'm using Jaws 2020 and Narrator 2004 on Windows 10.

Using Jaws, I read the notes by tabbing over the screen. When I tab to "select" (though sometimes it appears to be pin,"), Jaws reads a snippet from the note. To read the entire note, I need to use a simulated left click (i.e., ins+numpad slash on a desktop layout) on that Select button. The note opens up so I can arrow around or use reading commands. Pressing enter or space on Select toggles the button without opening up the note.

Using Narrator, I tab over the screen. When I get to "Select" (though sometimes it appears to be "Pin"), Narrator reads a snippet from the note. To read the entire note, I need to down-arrow past a couple of controls to get to the text of the note, at which point, I can arrow around and use reading commands. Pressing caps-lock+space and caps-lock+shift+space simply toggle Select though these commands are supposed to invoke primary and secondary actions respectively.

Hope Keep gets some TLC. I think I'd like to tab to the note  and just hear it, with maybe an edit button or a link for me to press enter on.

Ciao

Steve Nutt

Jul 19, 2020, 7:30:18 AM7/19/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ana,

Thank you for that, and I can do it exactly as you describe, but it is less than ideal.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: st...@comproom.co.uk

Jul 20, 2020, 1:21:24 PM7/20/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com
Ana G, it's probably a bug in Chrome actually, since it apparently works better in Firefox. How well does it work in Firefox for you?

Steve Nutt

Jul 20, 2020, 4:06:21 PM7/20/20
to axs-chrom...@googlegroups.com

Hi Aaron,

It does work in Firefox, but not well though.  It really does need an overhaul.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services