Off-topic: Taxonomic structures

lukeperman

Nov 12, 2008, 7:23:16 AM11/12/08
to Axure RP Design Library
Hi all,

Sorry for the off topic post, but as this is a community of like
minded professionals, I thought I'd give it a try :)

I'm having to create a taxonomy for my current project by the end of
this week. I thought a good way to get this achieved would be to do an
open card sort with my clients, where they can define the 'buckets'
for content, hence beginning to build the taxomony that will define
the content relationships (that I can then add to / refine.)

I already have a rudimentary set defined if they get stuck. Does this
sound like a good approach? Does anyone here have any must have tips
or approach?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

Brett Lutchman

Nov 12, 2008, 8:25:07 AM11/12/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
This is by no means 'off topic'. This is right in the center lane.
This is also a very good approach and I just did the exact same thing about a month ago.
You sound like you have the high level down pact so I will just continue on that level.
1. Gather qualified candidates
2. Briefing of exercise
3a. Open Card Sort (3b) questions as to reason of logic (not an interview, just simple questions)
4. Debrief/ Briefing of next exercise
5a. Conduct closed card sort based on the info you gathered from the candidates (5b) questions as to reason of logic
6. Debrief/ Briefing of next exercise
7a. Conduct closed card sort based on your own pre-made set (7b) questions as to reason of logic
8. Debrief/ Briefing of next exercise
9. Open conversation (focus group) don't worry about the influence that some may have on others. All the data you would have collected will stare you in the right direction and will provide a non-biased assessment. Focus groups are a different 'chemical' altogether.
10. Debrief group and kick them out.
11. Perform a gap analysis on information found
12. Develop strategy based on commonalities.

Hope this helps.
Candidates are usually paid $50 - $100 for an hour of their time or $100 - $150 for a full day plus lunch plus refreshments.
--
Brett Lutchman
Web Slinger.

Ian Fenn

Nov 12, 2008, 8:45:42 AM11/12/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

On 12/11/2008 12:23, "lukeperman" <luke....@evoke-media.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic post, but as this is a community of like
> minded professionals, I thought I'd give it a try :)

I think we need to be careful here. The purpose of this list, as advertised,
is to discuss AXLIB and, to some extent, using Axure RP.

A little bit of what Brits call 'banter' is fine from time to time but we
really ought to stay focussed on the topic at hand.

In my long (21 years!) experience of discussion lists, the consequence of
straying from advertised subject matter is that a) people will leave as
there's too much noise, or b) the list becomes a free for all - and no
development gets done as a result.

Do bear in mind that there are already excellent, long-established lists
where questions like this can be asked, such as those operated by the IA
Institute:

http://www.iainstitute.org/en/network/discuss_ia.php

Or we can always set up another Google group. :-)

If you agree, could you please email Luke off-list if you have any thoughts
on his query?

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn
Certified Usability Analyst

lukeperman

Nov 12, 2008, 10:05:29 AM11/12/08
to Axure RP Design Library
On Nov 12, 1:25 pm, "Brett Lutchman" <brettlutch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is by no means 'off topic'. This is right in the center lane.
> This is also a very good approach and I just did the exact same thing about
> a month ago.

Thanks for the response Brett. I'll shut up now that Mr. Fenn has
pointed out the error of my ways :)

cheers.

Brett Lutchman

Nov 12, 2008, 10:09:27 AM11/12/08
to luke....@evoke-media.com, ax...@googlegroups.com
Don't let it happen again Luke. You led me astray and got me in trouble!
: )