Axure RP Design Library v1.0 released!

Ian Fenn

Nov 6, 2008, 4:45:19 PM11/6/08
to Axure RP Design Library
Hi,

Axure RP Design Library v1.0 has been released.

You can download it from here:

http://code.google.com/p/axlib/downloads/list

Unzip and then open/import as you would any project file.

We¹ve tried hard to provide a number of patterns that people will find
useful, but this release has also been about creating a framework which will
accommodate the work of the others with full credit.

Luke and I look forward to your feedback - and future contributions. (If you
would like to contribute something, please contact either or both of us
directly.)

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn
Certified Usability Analyst

Message has been deleted

Redhead A

Nov 6, 2008, 6:04:18 PM11/6/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, and particularly useful to make it open to others to add to. Thanks!
Alinta

Jan

Nov 6, 2008, 11:34:20 PM11/6/08
to Axure RP Design Library
Ah :-) - it works now. Yesterday (I downloaded and unzipped it on my
Mac) I didn't get it becaus it didn't build the rp file after
unzipping.
This morning I unzipped it on my PC and and then I got that rp-file...
did you test it on a mac?

Excellent Job. Thanx.
Jan

Luke Perman

Nov 7, 2008, 3:34:21 AM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

There are some specific Mac issues when unzipping and copying the .RP
file - and the file can get corrupted quite easily. We're not really
expecting many people to be using this on a Mac but it may be worth
mentioning somewhere.

Hope you find it useful.

Luke

Ian Fenn

Nov 7, 2008, 4:28:54 AM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

On 07/11/2008 04:34, "Jan" <Jan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah :-) - it works now. Yesterday (I downloaded and unzipped it on my
> Mac) I didn't get it becaus it didn't build the rp file after
> unzipping.

Actually, .rp is a compressed file format and OSX decided to be clever and
unpack both the .zip and the .rp file. Windows will only unpack the .zip.

> This morning I unzipped it on my PC and and then I got that rp-file...
> did you test it on a mac?

Luke and I both work on macs and run Axure RP through VMWare Fusion or
Parallels. However, the difficulty with this particular issue lies with OSX
and how it unpacks compressed files. I'm yet to find a solution, other than
unzipping the file within windows - which the user should have as they need
it to run Axure RP.

If the .rp file is a form of compressed file, you may wonder why are we
compressing the file again and providing it as a .zip...

Well, the problem is that if you make a .rp file available for direct
download from a standard web server, Internet Explorer will append .zip to
the name of the file. Of course, if a user then tries to unzip it, they'll
get a directory of files Axure RP can do nothing with, rather than the
original .rp file.

The best solution would be to modifty the web server config so it serves a
.rp file with the correct mime type, but as we're using code.google.com to
host the download, this isn't an option.

So, it's better to avoid all that confusion, provide it as a .zip file and
have people unpack it, despite the mac issue.*

luke....@evoke-media.com

Nov 7, 2008, 5:27:01 AM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
i bow to your supreme monkeyness :)

Jan

Nov 7, 2008, 8:15:26 AM11/7/08
to Axure RP Design Library

> So, it's better to avoid all that confusion, provide it as a .zip file and
> have people unpack it, despite the mac issue.*

ah, ok :)

perhaps, it would be an option to have 2 downloads. one for mac and
one for windows. the windows would be like it is and the mac one would
be a zipped folder containing the unzipped rp-file but (!) with a
modified file type (foo.rp_txt and not foo.rp) plus a readme file
saying "erase the '_txt' within the file name"...

er, well. maybe not.

cheers,
Jan

Ian Fenn

Nov 7, 2008, 8:33:28 AM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Jan wrote:
> er, well. maybe not.

http://code.google.com/p/axlib/wiki/FAQ

Loren Baxter

Nov 7, 2008, 12:53:53 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
You can fix the IE problem by adding "AddType application/octet-stream .rp" to your .htaccess file.  Basically you need to declare the MIME type explicitly on the server.

It looks like wordpress might have overwritten my .htaccess file so I'm not sure if it's currently working on my site, but that definitely fixed it for a while.

Loren

-----
http://acleandesign.com

Ian Fenn

Nov 7, 2008, 1:03:23 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Loren,

On 07/11/2008 17:53, "Loren Baxter" <loren....@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can fix the IE problem by adding "AddType application/octet-stream .rp" to
> your .htaccess file. Basically you need to declare the MIME type explicitly
> on the server.

Yup, that's what I said in my email and in the online FAQ :-)

But as our project files are hosted on code.google.com, we don't have the
necessary access/permissions to make this mime-type change. :-(

Loren Baxter

Nov 7, 2008, 1:18:46 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Oh man, I totally missed that.  Sorry, bit of a rough morning :)

Perhaps the Google code team would be willing to help with that change?

Ian Fenn

Nov 7, 2008, 1:24:13 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Loren,

On 07/11/2008 18:18, "Loren Baxter" <loren....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh man, I totally missed that. Sorry, bit of a rough morning :)

No worries. We've all been there! :-)

> Perhaps the Google code team would be willing to help with that change?

My past experiences attempting to get active personal support from Google
(the group name change, for example) haven't been so good. But I guess I
shouldn't be so negative as the code platform could be different - I'll see
if I can find a contact... :-)

Enjoy the surfing!

Iain Lowe

Nov 7, 2008, 4:37:27 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work Ian and Luke.

Chris Pallé

Nov 7, 2008, 4:41:41 PM11/7/08
to ax...@googlegroups.com
Just getting back to Axure after about a year for a new project. Look forward to working with the group. Looks like I need an upgrade,tho :-)

Chris Pallé
http://twitter.com/chrispalle
Please pardon any foggy grammar and glaring typos. This was sent from my mobile during travels.

bongwater

Nov 8, 2008, 2:12:53 PM11/8/08
to Axure RP Design Library
very nice collection! thanks for taking the time to contribute it to
the larger community.

Ari