What awx releases match what awx-operator releases ?

Jan Goyvaerts

Jun 15, 2022, 12:07:12 PM6/15/22
to AWX Project
Hello Community,

If I'm not mistaken, each awx-operator release has a default awx release. Is there a way to find out - upfront - what the default awx release is of an awx-operator release ?

I'm new to awx-operator, so this might be sort of a daft question. :-)

THX

AWX Project

Jun 15, 2022, 3:55:15 PM6/15/22
to AWX Project
Hi!

Currently the awx-operator pulls the awx image tagged as "latest", which is based on the most recent awx release. For the most part awx-operator versions should be compatible with any awx version that is released around the same time.

AWX Team

Christian Adams

Jun 15, 2022, 5:16:09 PM6/15/22
to AWX Project
Hi Jan,

The above is true when on the `devel` branch, but I wanted to add a bit more information here.

If you check out a tag and run make `deploy` to deploy the operator to your cluster, the version is automatically parsed based on the tag you are on, and the correct operator container for that version will be used. The supported awx version tag is properly set in the operator container so that, by default, the supported version will be deployed when an AWX CR is created.

I agree that it would be nice to have page to go to for this information, which currently does not exist.  You would need to inspect the environment variables in the operator container or compare release dates on awx and awx-operator.  I think that we should include the linked/supported awx version in the release notes of the awx-operator to make this more clear.  I opened an issue here to track that improvement - https://github.com/ansible/awx/issues/12387

Thank you,
AWX Team

Jan Goyvaerts

Jun 16, 2022, 2:53:24 AM6/16/22
to AWX Project
Hello,

Well, at least I know now I shouldn't look anymore for such documentation :-)

Thanks for everything !

Jan Goyvaerts

Jun 16, 2022, 2:57:18 AM6/16/22
to AWX Project