Error creating pod: container failed to start, ImagePullBackOff

Manuel Busse

Feb 3, 2023, 4:56:00 AM2/3/23
to AWX Project
Hello!
I am currently trying to set up an execution environment, including the "hpe-cw7-ansible" module from HPE Networking on github, hosted on a local Gitlab server.

This is my execution-environment.yml.
---
version: 1

build_arg_defaults:

#ansible_config: 'ansible.cfg'

dependencies:
  galaxy: requirements.yml
  python: requirements.txt
  system: bindep.txt

additional_build_steps:
  prepend:
    - RUN whoami
    - RUN cat /etc/os-release
  append:
    #- RUN python3 --version
    - RUN yum install wget -y
    - RUN yum install unzip -y
    - RUN alternatives --set python /usr/bin/python3
    - RUN unzip main.zip
    #- RUN find / -name ncclient
    - RUN cd hpe-cw7-ansible-main/ && cp ./for-ncclient/rpc.py /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ncclient/operations/rpc.py && cp ./for-ncclient/manager.py /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/ncclient/manager.py
    - RUN cd hpe-cw7-ansible-main/ && chmod 777 setup.py && python3 setup.py install

I created the image with the following command:
~ ansible-builder build --tag "organization"/"project-name" --container-runtime docker -f execution-environment.yml
I successfully pushed the image to my local Gitlab Container registry. I can pull the image after docker login.
But for some reason when i try to run my playbook which is supposed to use the specified execution environment it says " Error creating pod: container failed to start, ImagePullBackOff". After googling the error message it was suggested that my image is either not available or that the credentials are wrong. But I can assure you that they are. And since I can pull the image from the host, where AWX is installed, the image is definitely available.
I'm pretty confused. Maybe there is someone who can help me?
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards

AWX Project

Feb 3, 2023, 1:31:23 PM2/3/23
to AWX Project
does kubectl describe or logs againts the job pod container tell you more info about the ImagePullBackOff error?

can you also copy and paste the api/v2/ output for both the execution environment and the credential used to access that image registry?

AWX Team

Manuel Busse

Feb 6, 2023, 3:57:16 AM2/6/23
to AWX Project
Are you talking about the pod container that is created by the execution environment? If so, I can't find that one. I can only see the pods that I created for AWX.

As to your second question: I'm not sure what you mean. What commands would you like me to run?
Sorry but I'm fairly new to this.
Thanks for your help!

Manuel Busse

Feb 7, 2023, 5:59:38 AM2/7/23
to AWX Project
I played around a little bit and now I am receiving the following error message:

Error creating pod: container failed with exit code 1:

AWX Project

Feb 10, 2023, 1:11:13 PM2/10/23
to AWX Project
Is it possible for you to also include the following endpoints:
api/v2/execution_environments/N/ where N is the newly created EE
api/v2/credentials/N/ where the credential matches that of the EE

Thanks,

AWX Team