Contributions

Sean Stoops

May 2, 2023, 12:40:21 PM5/2/23
to aws-...@googlegroups.com
Hello maintainers!

My name is Sean Stoops and I'm an engineer at O'Reilly Media. We've been using AWS Nuke for an internal project for the past few months with great success! However, we're beginning to exhaust its list of supported resource types and have begun to develop additional modules.

We wanted to reach out to introduce ourselves and hopefully establish a good workflow for the influx of contributions we're planning. We've already set up our own fork where we perform our work and can generate our own binary releases at the pace we need. However, we're still trying to be diligent about making clean and well documented PR's back to your upstream project.

Would someone be willing to chat with us about how you would like us to continue our contributions? We'd prefer to keep all contributions flowing into your upstream project for the benefit of your users, but since we will often have up to five developers working full time on these contributions, I recognize this will put a significant burden on you and your already limited time.

We will continue to maintain our fork solely for the purpose of us being able to quickly generate new binary releases, but we have no desire to promote our fork as "the new AWS Nuke". =)

Thank you again for a great project!

--
Sean Stoops

 Senior Software Engineer

O'Reilly Media, Inc. |

oreilly.com

Sven Walter

May 8, 2023, 4:46:49 AM5/8/23
to Sean Stoops, aws-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sean,

thank you for your message and sorry for the late reply. It is nice to see interest in long-term contributions and we are sure that we find a process that works for all of us.

What kind of contributions do you have in mind? Is it only about adding and maintaining resources or do you also plan to work on the core code?

Thank you!
Sven

Sven Walter

Platform Tech Lead

mail: s.wa...@rebuy.com · web: www.reBuy.de

rebuy recommerce GmbH · Erkelenzdamm 11-13 · 10999 Berlin · Geschäftsführer: Marcel Erian, Dr. Philipp Gattner, Thomas Loock

Sitz und Registergericht: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 109344 B, USt-ID-Nr.: DE237458635

Sean Stoops

May 16, 2023, 12:28:41 PM5/16/23
to Sven Walter, aws-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven,

Thank you for your response!

At this time, the focus of our contributions are primarily on adding further service support and updating existing services (eg. I have a PR out there to disable EC2 stop protection).

However, we're open to working on core functionality when the need arises and when time allows. For example, we've had to modify the parallel queries code on our internal builds as we were receiving many throttling errors. We'd like to figure out the best way to address this upstream, perhaps with a user-configurable value.

Sean

rebuy recommerce GmbH · Erkelenzdamm 11-13 · 10999 Berlin · Geschäftsführer: Marcel Erian, Dr. Philipp Gattner, Thomas Loock

Sitz und Registergericht: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 109344 B, USt-ID-Nr.: DE237458635

Sven Walter

May 23, 2023, 10:32:21 AM5/23/23
to Sean Stoops, aws-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Thank you for submitting the PRs. We have reviewed and approved your changes except for one which has a pending discussion.

You might have noticed that we currently do not have much time for aws-nuke, but we are looking out for your PRs and try to fast-track them. After building some trust, we can discuss further permissions in the project or the future of the project in general.

Thank you!
Sven