A WORD FOR TODAY, September 7, 2021

Peggy Hoppes

Sep 7, 2021, 12:10:42 PM9/7/21
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, September 7, 2021

“They were bringing to him little children, that he should touch them, but the disciples rebuked those who were bringing them. But when Jesus saw it, he was moved with indignation, and said to them, ‘Allow the little children to come to me! Don’t forbid them, for God’s Kingdom belongs to such as these. Most certainly I tell you, whoever will not receive God’s Kingdom like a little child, he will in no way enter into it.’ He took them in his arms, and blessed them, laying his hands on them.” Mark 10:13-16, WEB

I read an article called, “When She Was Three.” It was the musings of a man whose youngest daughter turned four years old. He was remembering the joys of having a three-year-old in the house. He was father to several and noted that he’d had a three-year-old for several years, but since this child turned four he would never have that particular joy again. He talked about the little things they do that can be annoying but are delightful at the hands of toddler like bringing handfuls of dandelions as a gift. He recalled the number of times he watched the same show or read the same book. He recalled the questions, the many questions beginning with the word “Why?” He recalled her first encounters with death. He especially remembered the incredible moments his three-year-old shined the light of Jesus.

Those of us who had a three-year-old understand. It is a magical time of life. Three-year-olds are just beginning to know independence but are still completely dependent. They remember things we don’t even realize they witnessed. They have learned things we do not think it was possible for them to know. To watch a three-year-old is to see an imagination in action. The writer of the article talked about how his daughter sang “Jesus Loves Me” during the Eucharist, despite other music playing, because it was the one hymn she knew by heart. He added, “If she has any organizational skills, she may even get some folks around her singing, too.”

The most beautiful sound in church is a child singing “Jesus Loves Me” even if it has nothing to do with what is happening around them.

Children who attend church learn by repetition the liturgy and music and things of God like the Lord’s Prayer and the hymns of praise. Even when they don’t know what is being said or can’t read the prayers being said, they know the pattern of worship. Sunday in church a three-year-old responded to the end of a prayer a heartbeat after the rest of us with a loud and enthusiastic “Amen.” It made me smile. We might think he had no idea what he was saying, but children know in their hearts the joy and peace of God’s grace much better than any adult. According to Matthew, Jesus said, “See that you don’t despise one of these little ones, for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.” We think we know so much about God, but children are so close to Him that they have not yet forgotten that He is their Father.

I smiled as I read that article because I remembered my own three-year-olds. It was a long time ago, but I can still feel their little hands reaching for mine. I can still feel their weight on my lap as we read a favorite book for the hundredth time. I can still see their faces covered in spaghetti sauce. I still call coleslaw cold slop because I hear her voice mispronouncing the word. I can still see my son giving communion to his herd of stuffed animals one afternoon. The sound of “Jesus Loves Me” and “Amen” rings in my ears, returning me to my own childlike relationship with my Father in heaven. Jesus welcomed the little children into His presence with enthusiasm because they love Jesus and know the way to heaven is to trust in Him.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday.  The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.