A WORD FOR TODAY, December 25, 2020

Peggy Hoppes

Dec 25, 2020, 8:04:19 AM12/25/20
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, December 25, 2020

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him. Without him, nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it. There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John. The same came as a witness, that he might testify about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but was sent that he might testify about the light. The true light that enlightens everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, and the world didn’t recognize him. He came to his own, and those who were his own didn’t receive him. But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1-14, WEB

At Christmastime, we celebrate the most extraordinary event: our Lord Jesus was born. During this season, we have parties, give gifts, and share the message of hope and love that He brought to this earth. At times, our holiday celebrations don’t look very much like a religious experience. We drink in excess and spend too much on presents out of duty rather than love. It is a time when many people face depression and anger. Families argue over trivial matters. Divorce is rampant. What should be a time of worshipping our Lord God Almighty, is a time when our human failures are most pronounced.

Jesus does that to us. When we have a relationship with our Lord, we see the reality of our human failures. We see that we are sinners in need of the Savior. We humble ourselves before the throne of mercy and grace and ask for God to forgive our sins and make us new again.

In that stable two thousand years ago, a baby was born who would show us the truth. The truth is that we are focused on self when we should be worshipping God with our whole being. The truth is our human nature is imperfect and that we will die because of our sin. However, that baby was more than just a good example, special teacher. Jesus Christ was born on that day to be the perfect Lamb of God, the perfect sacrifice for our sins. He taught us how to live, but the end He knew we could never live according to God’s Will. In the stable, Jesus humbled Himself and became man. At the cross, Jesus Christ humbled Himself even more by dying for us. We rejoice this Christmas in the birth of our Savior. We should always remember, however, that it is in His death and resurrection that we find the hope of His purpose.

We linger a moment over the infant Jesus in the manger each Christmas and then go on to party and overindulge. We sing a few carols and share our blessings with those we love, then we act in ways that are not worthy before the Lord. As we celebrate Christmas this year, let’s spend some time focusing on His story, hearing once again the Nativity of God’s own Son.

The Story of our Savior’s Birth

The Light, Genesis 1:1-5

The Fall, Genesis 3:8-15

The Promise, Genesis 22:15-18

The Prophecy, Isaiah 9:2-7

The Place, Micah 5:2-5

The Mother, Luke 1:26-38

Magnificat, Mary’s Song, Luke 1:46-55

The Birth, Luke 2:1-7

The Proclamation, Luke 2:8-16

The Mystery, John 1:1-14

On this Christmas Day, let us give thanks to God for the greatest gift of all, His Son our Savior Jesus Christ. To Him is the glory forever and ever. Hallelujah! Our Christmas wish, from our house to yours, is that you will have a blessed and bright Christmas Day.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday.  The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.