A WORD FOR TODAY, December 15, 2020

Peggy Hoppes

Dec 15, 2020, 9:47:44 AM12/15/20
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, December 15, 2020

“Having therefore, brothers, boldness to enter into the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by the way which he dedicated for us, a new and living way, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh, and having a great priest over God’s house, let’s draw near with a true heart in fullness of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and having our body washed with pure water, let’s hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering; for he who promised is faithful.” Hebrew 10:19-23, WEB

I baked some Christmas cookies this week. I’ve been hesitant because we don’t need to be eating all those sweets, and we won’t have as many opportunities to share them as usual. We make them because it is traditions; some cookies are only baked at this time of year and we enjoy the memories that go with them. A few years ago, after my husband’s mother died, I created a cookbook with recipes from both our mothers to give to the grandchildren so they could continue the traditions. I found myself using that same cookbook as I made my cookies this year.

It occurred to me that I’ve always focused on my own traditions and I haven’t tried making any of my husband’s childhood memories. So, I asked him what he would like. I went out, bought the ingredients, and started the process. These are complicated cookies, using a technique I never tried, so I hope they work out alright. I’ve always been intimidated by the idea of making these cookies. I don’t want to disappoint since these are a memory for my husband. He has always been respectful and enjoyed whatever I made for him, but now that both his parents are gone, I want to be able to give him that taste of his past.

I think these cookies will work out well, but I won’t know for sure until I bake them. They have to cool in the refrigerator overnight and then we’ll see. I do pretty well in the kitchen, but I’m definitely not a perfect baker. I have burned more cookies than I care to admit and I remember one year I forgot to add the sugar to my mom’s cookie recipe. I always taste a cookie after it has been baked/cooked and they didn't taste right. That's when I realized there was no sugar. I tried to add some to the remaining dough, though that year those cookies were not my best.

One of my favorite memories with these cookies came from my first year of marriage to my husband. The recipe from my mom had the ingredients but no instructions. I think she assumed I would remember how they were made; after all, I watched her make them year after year. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember and it was long before I could make a quick search on the Internet. So, I guessed on oven temperature and time. The cookies were good, but I knew there was something different about them. My mom and dad visited us the next Christmas and she was there when I made those cookies. She was confused by my process and asked, “What are you doing?” I confessed that I didn’t remember how to bake them and that her recipe wasn’t clear. She laughed and reminded me that they are cooked on a griddle. The next batch was so much better and I’ve remembered ever since.

Traditions help us remember the past, but it is wonderful creating new traditions, too. I made several new types of cookies this year. I’ve been collecting recipes for the past few months. The new cookies are delicious, and though I will miss some of my old favorites, it is fun to try something new. When it comes to matters of faith, it is important for us to remember the old. The lessons of the Old Testament teach us about the God of grace who is revealed in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He did something new, and we are made new in Him. While we should never forget the things of the past and cherish them, we are journeying through Advent to the life that God promised in those texts. Jesus is the something new and our faith is given so that we will see God’s faithfulness and the fulfillment of all those old promises in Him.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday.  The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.