A WORD FOR TODAY, August 19, 2022

Peggy Hoppes

Aug 19, 2022, 11:46:47 AM8/19/22
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, August 19, 2022

“Behold, one came to him and said, ‘Good teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?’ He said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said to him, ‘Which ones?’ Jesus said, ‘“You shall not murder.” “You shall not commit adultery.” “You shall not steal.” “You shall not offer false testimony.” “Honor your father and your mother.” And, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”’ The young man said to him, ‘All these things I have observed from my youth. What do I still lack?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’ But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he was one who had great possessions. Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Most certainly I say to you, a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter into God’s Kingdom.’ When the disciples heard it, they were exceedingly astonished, saying, ‘Who then can be saved?’ Looking at them, Jesus said, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’ Then Peter answered, ‘Behold, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?’ Jesus said to them, ‘Most certainly I tell you that you who have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on the throne of his glory, you also will sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Everyone who has left houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive one hundred times, and will inherit eternal life. But many will be last who are first, and first who are last.’” Matthew 19:16-30, WEB

What does it mean to give everything up for the sake of Christ? Peter reminds Jesus that they gave up everything and followed Jesus. But did they really? At this point in the story, the disciples had been following Jesus for three years. They were with Him constantly. They heard every story, probably many times. They’d had private lessons about what it means to believe in God. They had seen Jesus do the most miraculous things, including raising Lazarus from the dead. Jesus was about to enter Jerusalem in triumph, and the disciples had been with Him as He rose to such notoriety.

They did leave everything behind for this adventure with Jesus. Everything but themselves. Along the road to Jerusalem, they fought over who would be the greatest. James and John wanted Jesus to guarantee that they would be part of His leadership council. Peter denied Jesus on the night He was betrayed. They gave up homes, friends, and jobs. They gave up all their stuff. But even at this point in the story, they still held on to their will and their expectations.

Andrew Murry wrote, “But Christ taught them and trained them. He revealed to them, time after time, what the sin of pride is, and what the glory of humility is, and when He died upon the cross, they died a terrible death too. Think of Peter, the impetuous disciple, having denied his Lord. Do not you think that in all the sorrows of those three days, from the crucifixion day to the resurrection day, the deepest and bitterest was this – shame at the thought of how he had treated his Lord? Then he learned to despair in himself. At the supper table how self-confident he had been! ‘Although all shall be offended, yet will not I!’ But Jesus took him down with Him into death and the grave, and then Peter felt that there was in him, no good thing. He learned to despair of himself.”

Peter died to self as Jesus died on the cross, and only then had he truly given up everything. Giving up everything means everything, even ourselves. Especially ourselves. This is not something that happens easily. It takes a lifetime. We are no different than those disciples who walked with Jesus for three years. Peter boasted that they had given up everything, yet he failed to live as Jesus taught them: in humility. He, they, had pride in their discipleship but continued to hold on to their own wills and expectations.

What do you still hold? Jesus promised to the disciples the very thing they thought they deserved! They would rule with Him forever. Yet, He pointedly reminded them that it isn’t just about giving up the stuff of this world. He said, “But...” Those who are last, those who submit themselves completely to the will and expectations of God, are those that will be first. It may take a lifetime, but Christ teaches us and trains us. He reveals to us our own pride and shows us that glory is found in humility. He died so that we can live, but we have to die to ourselves and then we will truly live the life promised to us by our God.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org