A WORD FOR TODAY, April 10, 2023

Peggy Hoppes

Apr 10, 2023, 11:03:02 AM4/10/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, April 10, 2023

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” (John 11:25-26)

A boulder blocked the entrance to the tomb. It was sealed and Roman guards watched over it. There was no chance for tampering. The disciples were hiding, afraid to show their faces to the world. They did not know what awaited them. If Jesus was so good and truthful, what would become of them? Where was the hope? The hope is in the third day. The women awakened to the sad task of preparing Jesus’ body for burial the morning after the Sabbath. What they discovered would change the world.

The tomb was empty.

In the days that followed, Jesus appeared to many people. He appeared to Mary in the garden and when He spoke her name, she knew it was her Lord. He walked with two of His disciples on the road Emmaus. They were discussing the events of the week when Jesus joined them. They told Him the story and invited Him to dinner. They did not know who He was, because their eyes were closed. At the table, Jesus broke the bread, their eyes were opened, and they understood the scriptures Jesus had spoken to them. He appeared to the disciples in the Upper Room, and He rebuked them for not believing the witness of the women who testified to His resurrection. He appeared to hundreds. He appeared to Thomas, who required tangible evidence that Jesus was raised from the dead.

He was alive. Hallelujah.

In the days that followed His resurrection, Jesus Christ finished the work He came to do. He opened the minds of His disciples to the scriptures and told them to go out in the world to share the Truth of God’s mercy and love with all His creation. Then He promised that they would never be left alone, that the Holy Spirit would come to help them continue His work. Finally, He was taken to heaven to sit at the right hand of God.

We followed the footsteps of Jesus during Holy Week, and we will keep studying His story in the days to come. Last week we shared in His suffering and in the pain, grief, and doubt of His disciples. We watched as the crowd turned from jubilant to defiant. We watched as the disciples hid because of their regret and fear. We watched and identified with the mourning of the disciples. The last days of Lent are always filled with so much emotion as we relive the death of Jesus Christ. This would be a horrible story if it were not for the ending.

Do you believe? Do you believe that the Lord Jesus Christ walked this path, from His victorious ride into Jerusalem to the cross and tomb, and finally raised from the dead? Do you believe that He took upon Himself the sin of the world, your sins, so that you would be forgiven and restored to a right relationship with your Father in Heaven? Do you believe that He died and rose again? Rejoice and be glad! Jesus was dead and now He’s alive. The hope is in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God. Hallelujah!

It is time to leave the despair, gloom, and discouragement behind, for the Lord God Almighty has given you the gift of eternal life through Christ Jesus. He has done this so that you will walk in faith, living the resurrection in this world. As you do, others will be called away from despair, gloom, and discouragement so that they will experience the grace of God that fills His people with faith. This is how God is glorified.

Two thousand years ago, Jesus Christ spent a short time on earth and changed the world. In the days since, the world has wondered about this man. Christians and non-Christians alike have debated the meaning of his parables and they have questioned the events which surrounded Him. Today, the story of Jesus Christ has been told all over the world, and people continue to worship Him.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org