A WORD FOR TODAY, February 24, 2023

Peggy Hoppes

Feb 24, 2023, 11:37:28 AM2/24/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, February 24, 2023

“‘Of the men therefore who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John, to the day that he was received up from us, of these one must become a witness with us of his resurrection.’ They put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also called Justus, and Matthias. They prayed and said, ‘You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two you have chosen to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas fell away, that he might go to his own place.’ They drew lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles.” Acts 1:21-26, WEB

It may seem strange to talk about the disciples after the ascension of Jesus, since we are just beginning the season of Lent. The event in today’s passage will not occur for several months in the Church calendar. We look at it today because for many, this is his saint feast day. We know so little about him that it is impossible to set a specific date, which is usually the day the saint died. Reports of Matthias place him in too many places, dying too many ways, so he is remembered on February 24th, May 14th, or August 9th, depending on the church. What we do know about him is found only in today’s passage.

Matthias replaced Judas as an apostle of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He had been following Jesus as long as the others, so he knew very well the work and words of Christ.  Yet, he was not originally called among the Twelve. Twelve is a significant number in the Bible. Jesus selected twelve men to be the core of his ministry. Most theologians would agree that twelve is representative of the twelve tribes of Israel. Twelve is the number of divine governance. In Matthew 19 Jesus even tells the disciples that they will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. They knew from Psalm 109 that another would take Judas’ place. So, when he died, the apostles sought to fill his place among the Twelve.

The disciples were in Jerusalem waiting. They kept watching for the signs, but they had no idea what would happen when the Holy Spirit came. I can imagine them seeing something that might be considered a sign and wondering, “Was that it?” They were there, waiting and praying, unsure of what was to come.  So, they did what we all do; they took control into their own hands. They decided to get on with the business of being church. When we aren’t sure what God wants of us or what He has planned for our ministry, we jump forward with busy work. Something was not right; the government of the church was incomplete.

The response of the apostles after the ascension of Jesus was completely natural. What we see in this passage from Acts is a church suspended in a moment of time unsure of which direction they should go. The apostles were between being called and being sent. The outpouring of the Spirit on Pentecost had not yet happened, but they had the promises of Christ and His instruction. They were told to wait in Jerusalem until they were “clothed from on high.” The promised Holy Spirit would come, but they did not know when or how. They only knew that they were going to be sent to continue the work Jesus began and that they had to wait for the right time.

But they wanted to get to work. The first act was to bring wholeness to their leadership. Two men who had been with Jesus from the beginning were found to be in good character, worthy to be called an apostle. They used lots because they could not agree on which should be added to their number.

A good portion of the book of Acts has to do with resolving issues in the early days of Christianity. We comment about the divisions in Christianity in today’s world, but those divisions go back to the very beginning. Peter was questioned about his actions in Cornelius’ house. Apollos was teaching an incomplete Gospel. Teachers were trying to convince the members in Paul’s church plants that he was not authoritative. It was happening then, just as it is happening now. We are human, we disagree. Paul and Peter disagreed often yet found a way to work together.

It seems odd that the apostles would use an act of chance to choose someone of such importance, but they used it with prayer and trust in God. There may have been a better way of choosing Matthias as the twelfth disciple, but God blessed the choice, and he joined in the ministry of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Though we don’t know exactly what he accomplished or where, in the lack of knowledge about Matthias those of us who are relatively unknown can find comfort in knowing that God is using us, too. We don’t have to be a Peter or a Paul to do ministry for the Gospel. God calls the most ordinary people to do the most extraordinary things in the most unusual ways, even if it isn’t apparent to the world. Sometimes it isn’t even apparent to us.

Most people do not consider their daily actions part of God’s calling in their life. We don’t consider how often we are at the right place at the right time witnessing to God in ways we never expect. We think of the extraordinary call of Paul on the road to Damascus as an act of God, not a chance meeting during our normal, humdrum day. Yet, whenever God’s Word is spoken and His work accomplished, it is done because God has guided or directed His people into that time and place.

This story about Matthias may not take place on the church calendar for several months, but it is appropriate to think about him at the beginning of Lent. We too are in a moment of suspense between the birth and death of Jesus, watching Jesus walk toward the cross. As we journey with Him over the next six weeks, we are reminded to wait and pray, to watch for the signs that God sends to help us move forward into the work He has called us to do. We may want to take control, but it is best to look to God for direction.

This might be a time of transition for many, a time to discover new ways to serve God. Lenten fasts and devotional practices may open our eyes to new opportunities. We may not think we are worthy to be chosen, but God has already done that for all who have faith. Matthias was one among dozens who had followed Jesus along with the Twelve. We join him and them as the unknown witnesses who are sent into the world to serve Him according to His grace.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org