A WORD FOR TODAY, April 28, 2023

Peggy Hoppes

Apr 28, 2023, 8:18:35 AM4/28/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, April 28, 2023

“The blacksmith takes an ax, works in the coals, fashions it with hammers, and works it with his strong arm. He is hungry, and his strength fails; he drinks no water, and is faint. The carpenter stretches out a line. He marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes. He marks it out with compasses, and shapes it like the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to reside in a house. He cuts down cedars for himself, and takes the cypress and the oak, and strengthens for himself one among the trees of the forest. He plants a cypress tree, and the rain nourishes it. Then it will be for a man to burn; and he takes some of it, and warms himself. Yes, he burns it, and bakes bread. Yes, he makes a god, and worships it; he makes it a carved image, and falls down to it. He burns part of it in the fire. With part of it, he eats meat. He roasts a roast, and is satisfied. Yes, he warms himself, and says, ‘Aha! I am warm. I have seen the fire.’ The rest of it he makes into a god, even his engraved image. He bows down to it and worships, and prays to it, and says, ‘Deliver me; for you are my god!’ They don’t know, neither do they consider: for he has shut their eyes, that they can’t see; and their hearts, that they can’t understand. No one thinks, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say,I have burned part of it in the fire. Yes, I have also baked bread on its coals. I have roasted meat and eaten it. Shall I make the rest of it into an abomination? Shall I bow down to a tree trunk?’ He feeds on ashes. A deceived heart has turned him aside; and he can’t deliver his soul, nor say, ‘Isn’t there a lie in my right hand?’” Isaiah 44:12-20, WEB

I still have the remnants of my children’s favorite baby blankets buried somewhere in a box. They are falling apart, torn at the edges and worn out in the middle. As each child grew older, the blankets were cut into smaller pieces to get rid of any stains and make them easier to carry. Yet, even with those changes, those blankeys were kept near. It was a comfort to them when things were hectic or confusing. If they were left with a babysitter, the blankey was never far away. It was the one thing they could hold on to when everything seemed out of control to them. I think most children have something like this, such as a favorite toy, pacifier, or stuffed animal.

It is understandable that children need a security blanket. We all are comforted by the physical presence of the things that make us feel sheltered. We like to be in our homes when bad weather strikes because we feel secure. We prefer to drive a dependable car so that we can trust we won’t find ourselves alone on a deserted road in a broken-down vehicle. These items help us to relax, feel safe and sound. They give us a sense of peace in the midst of chaos. Some children become overly attached to these items, they get hysterical when the blankey or stuffed animal is missing or out of reach. This is true even if the people who love and care for them are close at hand. Though Mom and Dad are the ones in whom the child can truly trust, he or she does not feel secure without that blankey or toy. This is fine for the first few years of life, but it is problematic when a child goes to school. Eventually we all have to learn that peace cannot be found in the things we can hold with our hands.

Yesterday’s devotion was from the book of Isaiah. God said that nothing is like Himself: no idols can protect the people or speak about what is to come. He asked if there is any God besides Him. Today’s passage continues the thought, reminding us that our idols are useless. In our day and age, we don’t necessarily worship little statues made of gold, stone, or wood, but we still have our idols. They are those things that we hold in higher esteem than God; the things that we rely on for protection, comfort, and peace. Yet, those things are perishable. How can we trust in things that do not last?

The children’s blankeys are faded and torn, worn out beyond recognition. Over the years they were reduced to small squares of fabric that could help no one through any real trouble. Yet, for some children, those security blankets are the source of their peace. Even though it is Mom and Dad who provide them with food and shelter, they cannot live without the comfort that thing provides. In adulthood we do same, but our security blankets are much bigger. We trust in our houses, our stock certificates, our cars, or other tangible things to keep us safe.

Have you ever seen the ruins of a house leveled by a tornado or fire? They are completely destroyed, with only a foundation and pile of rubble or a few blackened beams left. News from Wall Street often reminds us of the uncertainty that comes with investment. I watched a car fly through the air when I was driving the other day; thankfully the people were fine, but the car was destroyed. These things are helpful and good to have in our lives, and yet we have to remember that they are perishable. They are not worth our worship or complete trust.

I love the imagery in this passage from Isaiah. The carpenter uses the same wood to create an idol, a false god on which he will rely, as he uses to cook food and warm himself on a cold summer night. Wood is a good thing, a gift from God, given so that we will have homes, food, and warmth. But it cannot be the foundation of our faith. Our homes, cars, investments and even our blankeys are not bad things. They should be used for their proper purpose, but it does no good to worship them or keep them beyond their usefulness. Only God is without limit, only He can be our God. The rest is perishable, gifts from God for good purpose but not worthy of our worship. May we keep all things in their proper place, with God as the first and the last in all our lives.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org