A WORD FOR TODAY, May 5, 2023

Peggy Hoppes

May 5, 2023, 2:21:12 PM5/5/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, May 5, 2023

“Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed. For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable body will have become imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “Death, where is your sting? Hades, where is your victory?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the Lord’s work, because you know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, WEB

Texas has an interesting history and more diverse culture than you might expect. I was surprised when we moved to Texas how many places have German roots. As it turns out, many people immigrated to Texas from Germany in the mid- to late-nineteenth century. They weren’t the only ones. We have a museum and library in San Antonio that is called the Institute of Texan Cultures. They teach about the people of Texas. Among the most common cultures with the Germans are American Indian, Scottish, Czech, Polish, Mexican, Chinese, Wendish, Jewish, African American, and Greek. Many of these cultures are like islands in the midst of the diversity that is Texas, with communities with people who continue to embrace the traditions of their past through their churches, museums, and shops that sell their food and crafts.

You may have heard the phrase “Six flags over Texas,” but do you know what it means? It is the slogan used to describe the six sovereign countries that have had control over some or all of the current territory of the U.S. state of Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States.

This diverse history means that we have many different holidays or days of remembrance. The last few weeks of April were a huge party called “Fiesta” which is founded in history of San Antonio. Though many of the events are all about food and fun, there are solemn remembrances at the Alamo and religious events. There is a parade on the final Friday of Fiesta, the Battle of Flowers Parade, which celebrates the Battle of San Jacinto, which was the final and decisive victory in the Texas War for Independence. That day is a holiday in our city, with many places closed including governmental agencies and schools.

Today is another of those days that has its foundation in the battle over this region of the world. Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s victory over the Second French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The funny thing about this holiday is that it is more popular in the United States than it is in Mexico. My first experience with the fiesta atmosphere was when we lived in Arkansas. The children attended an International Studies schools, and one year the country focus for the elementary school was Mexico. Our spring fundraiser was a Fiesta party. This party helped the children actively participate in the culture of that country.

The food area was decorated to look like a marketplace. There were crafts and games and demonstrations of how to make tortillas and spin yarn. There were dancers and a singer. There was even a petting zoo and pony rides. One of the favorite booths sold cascarones. These are eggshells filled with confetti and covered with tissue paper. At the Cinco de Mayo celebrations, children crack these eggs over their friends’ heads so that they are covered in tiny pieces of paper. The children loved sneaking up on people with their eggs and surprising them with the burst of confetti. These eggs are popular around Easter, too. They leave a mess but are so much fun. I was the victim of multiple attacks, and the children laughed as they ran away because they knew I was ready to return the favor! The food was delicious, the games were fun, and the displays were educational. It was a wonderful experience for everyone.

The children learned about the reason for Cinco de Mayo during the school year, but I imagine most of them remember the party far more. Most people who are celebrating the holiday today are doing so because Fiesta and cascarones are fun. They don’t realize that it is a remembrance of a victory. Paul tells us that God won the greatest victory through Jesus Christ. Death and hell and sin no longer have power over us. We are made free from their oppression by the blood of Jesus Christ. So why don’t we celebrate this? Why don’t we share this incredible story with the world?

Have you ever thought about what it must have been like to be one of the first disciples? They were threatened with imprisonment, beatings, even death. Many died horrible deaths for their faith. They were attacked physically, emotionally, and spiritually for the work they were doing. They were rejected, but they never stopped celebrating the amazing grace of God and sharing it with their neighbors. They saw incredible growth in followers for the Way. Whole villages accepted Christ and saw the work that was done in His name. The disciples saw the great joy that followed the message of God’s love through belief in Jesus Christ; they saw people freed from the oppression of dis-ease in spirit and body.

In today’s church we do not see the same growth and experiences as the early disciples. Just as Cinco de Mayo is no longer remembered by many as a celebration of a victory, so too our Christian faith has been diminished to be less than a victory for God’s people. We live our faith, but do we really live as though we have been made free through the victory of Christ to be steadfast, immovable, abounding in the Lord’s work, knowing our labor is not in vain? We have the promise of eternal life today, it is ours by God’s grace through faith so that we can live now for His Kingdom with joy because He won the victory!

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org

Peggy Hoppes

May 8, 2023, 4:49:57 PM5/8/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com