A WORD FOR TODAY, March 26, 2021

Peggy Hoppes

Mar 25, 2021, 7:44:47 PM3/25/21
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, March 26, 2021

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by his good conduct that his deeds are done in gentleness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, don’t boast and don’t lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, sensual, and demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition are, there is confusion and every evil deed. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceful, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” James 3:13-18, WEB

It is springtime in Texas, and therefore time to go on some wildflower adventures. It is difficult to know the best time to go. If you go to early, the flowers have not yet bloomed. If you go too late, the grasses grow taller than the blooms. I usually base my time on when I see flowers blooming on the sides of the highways or in people’s gardens. Those flowers tend to bloom first because the ground is a little warmer. I finally saw a small patch on a median and some flowers in someone’s yard, so I think it is good to go.

Many of my favorite places are fields off the back roads of Texas, out of the way places with ranches and wilds. Websites and other adventurers give fairly good directions to some of these places, but many are found by turning onto the path less traveled. Some of those well known fields become trampled by people anxious to get photos in the middle of the flowers. One place made me very sad. It was a gorgeous field, but there were flattened flowers where someone took a photo of their children in the flowers. Sadly, there four more places just feet from the first. Why didn’t the second, third and fourth families use the same spot? They all wanted pristine fields, so they trampled a new area to get the perfect photo. So many people posted on websites and pages that the crowds became overwhelming and that the fields were being destroyed.

I am thankful for the advice of other hunters, but I must confess that I sometimes wonder if I should share the places with others. I don’t want to be greedy, because I wany everyone to experience the beauty of these wildflowers for themselves. I hope when I do share a place that others will treat the fields with respect and the residents with consideration, but I have learned that too many wildflower hunters are more focused on what they want than on what they should do for the sake of others.

Wildflower hunting demands respect and consideration, not only for the wildflowers but for those who are also on the road or who live where the flowers grow. I usually put more than 200 miles on my car during one of my wildflower adventures, stopping when I can to get photos. Those places are few and far between, so I usually see more flowers than I photograph. The ranchers and homeowners travel those roads daily, and they should have a safe trip when they are going to work or home. Some of the tourists don’t care; they stop in the middle of the road, block driveways, and park their cars over patches of flowers. Some stops are so popular that it is difficult to get around the cars. I have seen too many accidents waiting to happen; drivers will often risk rear end collisions by stopping short because of the view.

True wisdom comes from God and is revealed in the way you live your life. If you act in selfish and self-centered ways, then your wisdom is earthly. James teaches us how we can recognize those who have wisdom from heaven. They are considerate, submissive, and merciful. The fruit that is produced is the good fruit that comes from the Spirit of God. Peace follows wherever they go. Our wildflower hunts will be far more delightful if we wander with respect and consideration because it will be a good experience for everyone.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday.  The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.