A WORD FOR TODAY, July 8, 2024

Peggy Hoppes

Jul 8, 2024, 8:43:23 AM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, July 8, 2024

“Blessed be Yahweh, who has given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised. There has not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by Moses his servant. May Yahweh our God be with us, as he was with our fathers. Let him not leave us or forsake us; that he may incline our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his ordinances, which he commanded our fathers. Let these my words, with which I have made supplication before Yahweh, be near to Yahweh our God day and night, that he may maintain the cause of his servant, and the cause of his people Israel, as every day requires; that all the peoples of the earth may know that Yahweh himself is God. There is no one else. Let your heart therefore be perfect with Yahweh our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as it is today.” 1 Kings 8:56-61, WEB

The magazine “Architectural Digest” sends photographers into the homes of the rich and famous to show how they’ve decorated with style and taste. Some of the homes are exquisite. The furniture is expensive and beautiful, every accessory perfectly placed. Even the lighting coming through the windows is from the exact moment when it will create the most amazing look. The photographers are talented and carefully compose the shots to highlight the best features of the rooms and the personality of the owners.

I would love to have a house that is so beautiful. As I look at the pictures, I often think about the choices I would make for the space. Would I choose those antiques, or would I consider something modern? What picture would I put on that wall? Would I organize my trophy case in the same way, or would I use those shelves for something else? I wonder if I could create a space that would be worthy of having the photographers from “Architectural Digest” capture the beauty of my own choices.

However, I can’t help but wonder how comfortable they are living in such a pristine environment. The sofas have names like chaise longue or divan. I’d be afraid to put a cup of tea on the antique tables. The drapes and carpets take special cleaning. Would I feel like I could sprawl out on the couch in the living room to read a book or push aside the tchotchkes to put together a puzzle or play a game with my kids?

I don’t know about you, but even when my house is clean and organized there is always something that doesn’t belong. I always have a book or a craft project within handy reach. My desk is covered with mail and research that need my attention. The kitchen is clean, but there is usually a glass in the sink and a loaf of bread on the counter. My pantry is chaotic and don’t open any closet doors. It is likely you’ll find dust on the horizontal surfaces and dust bunnies under the bed. A pile of magazines is piled in the bathroom waiting to be read. My house isn’t perfect, but it is clean and comfortable. You are welcome to come to my door anytime, and though I might apologize that the floor hasn’t been vacuumed, I would be pleased by your visit. Would I rather have that picture perfect home, or a place that is real where I can live and love and do the things I enjoy?

When Solomon dedicated the Temple in today’s passage, he called the people to have hearts perfect with God, to walk in His statutes and keep His commandments. What does it mean to have perfect hearts? What does it mean to walk perfectly? What does it mean to be perfect as God desires us to be? Should we be like that perfect house, with everything in its place and not a grain of dust on the furniture? Or, should we be real, imperfect in flesh but perfect in heart, living and loving and enjoying everything God has gifted us to do? God wants us to be righteous, free from sin and the ugly realities of our human nature, but has God created a world where everything is in its perfect place?

A field of wildflowers is beautiful and perfect, but I know from experience that the flowers do not grow picture perfect. There is always a flower that is too tall or too short. There is often a dead bloom right in the middle of a gorgeous bunch. That’s the reality of our world: sometimes a tree grows crooked. That doesn’t make it any less perfect in God’s eyes. The same is true of us. We aren’t perfect, we can’t even strive for perfection. God calls us to be like Him, to be real, to live, love and enjoy the world He created. It might not always be beautiful, but it will be perfect in God’s eyes, because He sees the world in the light of grace.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org