A WORD FOR TODAY, July 3, 2024

Peggy Hoppes

Jul 3, 2024, 4:35:46 PM (13 days ago) Jul 3
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, July 3, 2024

Lectionary Scriptures for July 7, 2024, Seventh Sunday after Pentecost: Ezekiel 2:1-5; Psalm 123; 2 Corinthians 12:1-10; Mark 6:1-13

“They, whether they will hear, or whether they will refuse, for they are a rebellious house, yet they will know that there has been a prophet among them.” Psalm 123:5, WEB

I have always been hesitant about telling others about some of my experiences with God. One of the reasons is because they sound strange and even unbelievable. They are beyond our human expectations and our comfort zones. I don’t want to sound crazy. But I also don’t want to sound boastful. I don’t want anyone to think I’m trying to be more than I am. I don’t my stories to make it seem that I am claiming authority that is not mine to claim.

I have met people, however, that will use anything to gain acceptance and credibility even if they are grasping at straws. Years ago, when I was doing online ministry in Christian chat rooms, I met many self-proclaimed prophets. They spoke forth “words” and demanded acceptance from those who heard. Those “words” were often accompanied by the proclamation, “Thus says the Lord,” as if this was supposed to give them credibility. Unfortunately, many of those “words” were not from God; they were often counter to what we read in the scriptures. They simply claimed it was a new revelation, but God does not contradict Himself. Some of these self-proclaimed prophets acted as if they were equal to God and demanded faith that they spoke for God.

Real prophets aren’t given any guarantees. In today’s passage, Ezekiel was told that the people who heard his message would probably not even listen. When it comes to God’s prophets, however, it doesn’t matter whether they are heard or received, God will cause His word to be known. The prophet won’t be popular or respected. As a matter of fact, the prophet will probably be spit upon, beaten and threatened. But God’s Word gets through, it is heard, even if the listeners do not realize it at the moment. In the end, God will prove His prophets to the world.

Teachers and parents are not like prophets, and yet what teacher or parent hasn’t experienced this refusal to be heard? Teachers and parents aren’t always right, but they do have important and valuable things to say. I have spent the past few days at a youth gathering for young people around the U.S. and Canada. My task has been to take photos of the event, to catch the young people and their sponsors interacting and learning about belonging. This means seeing them as they are, and while I have seen excitement and interest, I have also seen moments when they were withdrawn, distracted, uncertain, and even uninterested (youth and adult!).

What parent hasn’t seen that glazed look in the eyes of their teenager when trying to explain why they shouldn’t do something or why they should? What Sunday school teacher hasn’t wondered whether any of the Bible stories they’ve read made an impact in the lives of their students. We can’t always tell whether the lessons we teach have been learned or whether they will be remembered later in life.

I remember a day when I was teaching preschool that the students were not listening. We had been outside for play time, and it was a beautiful day. They were wiggling in their seats and very inattentive. We were constantly telling them to sit down and pay attention. It didn’t work. I continued to tell the stories even though I was uncertain whether they even heard me. A few days later, one of the students remembered those lessons. I was amazed but thought maybe the student’s mom had shared the same story with him. She told me she had not. He must have heard something on that crazy day.

I have often wondered whether my own kids heard the lessons I taught, but I have been very proud of them through the years. Though it seems like they haven’t listened, they have proven over and over again with simple words or actions that they really have heard. I have certainly not been perfect over the years, but I’ve seen them respond to their circumstances with wisdom and grace. Sometimes it has been because they took to heart what I said.

That’s what happens to God’s word when spoken by God’s chosen prophets. It may seem like no one is listening, but appropriate response is manifested as those words are remembered when it matters. The truth is made known. The self-proclaimed prophets try to force their words, but God’s Word works without our help. We are to speak and let God do the rest. Though it isn’t easy to be ignored and rejected, it isn’t about us, anyway. It is about God. We speak not to build up ourselves, to become popular or respected, but to give the world a revelation from the One who changes rebelliousness into faith.

It has been fun to be a part of the youth gathering. As “paparazzi” I haven’t had any responsibilities, so I have wandered where I wanted and interacted with many of the attendees. I have taken nearly two thousand photos so far and will probably take another thousand tomorrow. This isn’t unusual for me. I take a lot of photographs. Most photographers will tell you that a relatively small percentage of the pictures they take are actually good photographs. No matter how good the photographer and the equipment, there’s so many things that can ruin a photo. Bad lighting washes out the color. Movement causes blurriness. The photographer can easily miss a tiny detail that appears like a blatant mistake when the photo is printed. We often laugh at those news photos that have odd things sticking out of people’s heads or sides, but every photographer can make that mistake. I know I have!

With today’s digital cameras it is so much easier to get that perfect shot, simply because the photographer can afford to take as many pictures as necessary. When using film, the photographer has to consider the cost involved. Film is expensive and so is developing. I took multiple photographs of each speaker so that one would show the person in the best light. I took hundreds of photos of the group in worship. There have been so many opportunities to catch small groups in conversation, new friends enjoying fellowship, youth playing games together. I deleted a few that were unusable, and we won’t use every photo, but I’ve been pleased that so many of my photos from this week have captured the joy and excitement of the event.

I admit have a hard time getting rid of any of my pictures, even the bad ones. I know there’s no reason to keep those fuzzy, dark photos with someone’s head cut off, but I often wonder if there might be a reason to keep it. There are lessons to be learned from our failures. When I look at my perfect shots from the Youth Gathering, I think maybe I’m a great photographer. When I look at those out of focus shots, I am reminded that I’m not perfect. Our failures are humbling, but in humility we are willing to learn and to accept the help of others.

Imagine what it must have been like to be Paul. He was incredible, a specially chosen man called to do an extraordinary task. He would have been right to hold his leadership and authority over the members of the congregations he established. He could have demanded payment for the work he did. He could have insisted that the Christians do as he said. He had the authority based on his experience. It was obvious that he was chosen by God. He was gifted and God’s grace was manifest in his life and work. He even had some remarkable things happen to him that serve as proof of God’s hand in his life.

The conversion on the road to Damascus was more than enough to establish Paul as God’s helper, but in today’s passage Paul tells another story. This was probably an important moment in Paul’s ministry because he was given a vision of Paradise and a message from God that he could not share. For many modern-day prophets, this type of experience is the center of their ministry. They demand respect, attention and obedience because they can make this claim; they use this text to justify their own boasting since Paul seems to do so.

However, Paul is humble; he refuses to be the center of the story, proclaiming it is about someone else. Paul reminded the congregation about his imperfection. He talked about his thorn, whatever that might be. I know that many try to insert their favorite cause or disability into this text, but whatever was wrong is not important. The point to this text is that Paul admitted that he is not perfect. Though he was gifted and blessed, called by God and given the most incredible spiritual experiences, he insisted that his authority is not based on his mountain top experiences or incredible gifts. His authority is based on God’s grace. The same is true for us. There might be visions or revelations we’ve received that prove to the world that we are chosen and called by God. But it is in our failures that we are humbled and reminded that we are nothing without God’s grace.

One of the reasons I wanted to be part of the Youth Gathering is because I know many of the people who have been involved in the planning or who have come with their youth groups. Most of them have not seen me in person for a few years and my recent health journey has given me a whole new look. They did not recognize me at first. Change is natural. We all change as we grow. We gain or lose weight, change our hairstyles, grow wrinkles. Sometimes the changes brought on by our jobs or health are extreme. I definitely look much different than I did even a year ago. Change doesn’t only happen on the outside. We change inwardly, too. This is one of the hopes we have for the youth who are at the gathering.

When we listen to those who are called to share God’s Word with us, we grow in knowledge and wisdom. We realize our failings and we repent. We get through difficulties and learn new ways of living. Sometimes we learn new skills, things we might never have been able to do before. We take up new habits or give up the old. Those who knew us in the past remember us as we were. The youth will return to their homes and congregations changed.

Change is sometimes dramatic, but most of the time it is gradual for us and for those around us. Those we see again after the change are often shocked. Sometimes the differences are so dramatic that it is hard to believe it is true, especially when the changes are inside. Can a chain-smoking, beer guzzling person really kick those habits? We have a hard time seeing them as anything other than that chain-smoking, beer guzzling person. We remember people as they were when we knew them best, and it is hard to believe that they have truly changed. One of the speakers at the gathering is a man who was a member of a gang, who spent time in prison. He met Jesus, became a pastor, and now ministers to the pagans who were part of his past life. I wonder how long it took for them to see him as he is now.

Jesus was different, at least to those who knew him best. His family and friends from his hometown knew Jesus the man. They knew the education he’d received. They knew the carpentry work He was taught by His earthly father. They knew his strengths and weaknesses. He wasn’t brought up to be a priest or rabbi or teacher. He was a carpenter, the son of a carpenter. They couldn’t believe that the kid they knew was there teaching and preaching. They remembered what he was and couldn’t see beyond the memories to what was standing in front of them. Our hope for at least some of the youth is that they would discover their own calling to serve God in ministry. Will their family and friends understand when they see the new direction of their life?

It is possible to overcome this bias. After all, Jesus’ mom was there with Him in the end and His brother James followed in his footsteps. I’m sure others in the community eventually believed in Jesus. It takes some work, but we can convince our old friends that we have changed. But this story stood as an example for the disciples.

Jesus sent the disciples out into the towns and villages to preach and heal. He sent them out without wallet or food; they were expected to trust in God’s grace as they shared the message of the Kingdom. It might not have been as hard as we think. They were probably heading into places where they had family and friends. They might knock on the door of a cousin and be received with open arms. Or would they? Would they find a welcome or would they be rejected just like Jesus. If Jesus was not believed by those who knew and loved Him most, how could they expect anything better?

My kids are grown, but I remember stories of when they were young. They did not always listen or respond to my words. Like all parents, I often repeated myself over and over again. “Clean your room.” “Put away the dishes.” “Finish your homework.” No matter how many times we remind them, they procrastinate and then simply forget. We have to remind them, hoping that one day they will remember. Even as they have grown, there are still things that they forget. Our occasional deafness is not unusual; it is typical human behavior. We hear what we want to hear and remember what we want to remember. We hear when it will be for our benefit and we do it when it is convenient. We all willingly jump into action when we will be rewarded for it.

We (believers) know that the Christian message is worth hearing and living. We know that it is freeing and that in it we find real peace and joy. However, those who do not believe find the message hard to accept. The idea of Christ on the cross, death for life, and sacrifice for mercy is ridiculous. It is foolishness. The idea of God is a myth. Spirituality is a delusion. What good is some far-off heaven when people are suffering in this world? There are so many questions and doubts that can get in the way of hearing the grace of God.

One of the worst barriers, of course, is the human vessel sent to take the message. We are hypocrites because we talk of righteousness while we fail. Those who know us know that we aren’t saints. We are rejected, ridiculed, and ignored. It isn’t easy. Every young mother thinks her child will be perfect, that she’ll do everything right so that her child will not willfully forget to listen and do what she asks. Yet, every child goes through that period of time (it lasts longer for some than for others) when they reject, ignore and ridicule the authority figures in their life. Even good kids manage to forget to do those things that they are expected to do.

In the texts for this week, we heard call stories about people who were promised that the people to whom they were sent would not listen. Ezekiel faced stubborn and impudent. The Corinthians were interested in those who were successful, thinking they must be right because they were powerful and charismatic. Paul reminded them that God’s grace is more powerful than human power, especially in the weakness of His chosen. Even Jesus faced rejection from His own people. Why should we expect to do any better? Yet we can live in the words of the psalmist, looking to God for our strength because while the world holds us in contempt, God has mercy on us.

The singer of today’s psalm must have known what it was like to be treated with derision. The scorners were proud and arrogant, wanting the Jews to fail because then they would have more power. However, the singer knew that their derision did not matter. He looked to the God who sits in the heavens. The singer was not humbled by the taunts of the enemy but by the graciousness of God who provides for His people like a master to a servant.

We may face similar taunts in our life, when we are trying to do work that others do not want us to accomplish or that others think we are incapable of doing. One of the things that the speakers have tried to instill in the youth has been the reality that their faith will not always be welcome with their peers and that they should always stand firm in Christ. They are called, as all of us are called, to share God’s Word with the world, but they won’t always be heard. We do not need to worry about the point of view of our neighbors, which is difficult for youth. We all want to be accepted and respected by the world, but we need only keep our eyes on the Lord our God who provides us with all we need. It may seem like the tasks are impossible to accomplish, but we can live at ease knowing that God will have mercy on us and is with us through it all.

This world has always been counter to that which God intends. This world will always battle against Christian faith. Jesus warned us that we would be hated as He was hated. He encouraged us not to be afraid, for He has overcome the world. Even when we are overwhelmed by what is happening, we must always have hope. God is in control; He won the war even though we are still fighting the battles. What we need to do is learn how to fight that battle with grace and mercy. We have been called to take God’s Word to our family, friends, neighbors, enemies, and the strangers in our midst. It might seem like it is an impossible task, but God promises that He will put His Word in our mouths and that His Word never comes back void.

Sadly, even when we do speak for God, many will not hear. The people didn’t hear Ezekiel. They didn’t believe the message because it wasn’t the message they wanted to hear. They wanted acceptance, peace and love, not a call to repentance. They wanted to do things their own way. The self-proclaimed prophets promised them good things; Ezekiel warned them what would happen if they continued to reject God. Which message would you rather hear? False prophets give the people what they want, that’s how they are successful, and they use their success as proof of their credibility. Yet, we learn over and over again in the scriptures that the true prophets of God face difficulty and that God will prove them true when His Word comes to fulfillment.

We are called to keep our eyes on the Lord our God who provides us with all we need, and though the tasks seem impossible to accomplish we can be obedient knowing that God is faithful. He has a purpose for each of our lives and it will be accomplished no matter what difficulties we face, for it is in our weakness, pain, need, persecution and distress for Christ’s sake that God does His best work. As Paul wrote, “For when I am weak, then am I strong.” God’s grace is sufficient, and we can trust that He will be glorified by the lives we live for Him.

Our power to preach the Gospel comes from God, not from our own abilities, experiences, or even our own desire to do so. God’s word is best shared by those who are humble before God, by those who trust in His grace. As we rejoice in our weaknesses God’s strength shines. People will reject, despise, persecute, insult and threaten us. They will believe the message that sounds better. They’ll chase after the warm fuzzies and ignore the calls to repentance. We can only hope that that one day they will know they have heard God’s Word. Until then, we’ll climb the steps of the Temple with our eyes on God, praising Him even in the midst of our suffering, for we know God’s strength will shine in our weakness and His Gospel will truly change the world.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org