A WORD FOR TODAY, April 20, 2021

Peggy Hoppes

Apr 20, 2021, 12:28:14 PM4/20/21
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, April 20, 2021

“It is a good thing to give thanks to Yahweh, to sing praises to your name, Most High, to proclaim your loving kindness in the morning, and your faithfulness every night, with the ten-stringed lute, with the harp, and with the melody of the lyre. For you, Yahweh, have made me glad through your work. I will triumph in the works of your hands. How great are your works, Yahweh! Your thoughts are very deep.” Psalm 92:1-5, WEB

My computer is situated in a room where I am able to look out three different windows in three different directions. We have purposely placed bird feeders in sight from my desk, and I confess that I spend some time each day watching the flitting birds and the scurrying squirrels. We get a wonderful variety of feathered friends, and the squirrels seem quite aware of our watching eyes. I am beginning to recognize a few of the squirrels; they have unique physical characteristics and habits. I love when they sit on the tree and chatter at me, as if they are trying to tell me something. Of course, that usually happens when the feeders are empty, so I’m sure they are chastising me.

I suppose my time watching the critters at my feeders must seem like I’m lazy or procrastinating. I often stop watching and say to myself, “I must get back to work.” I try to keep my eyes on the computer, but I can’t seem to concentrate when I force myself. We are expected to be constantly productive in our modern world so we stay busy, busy, busy. Yet, how many times do you feel exhausted from a day filled with work, but then realize you haven’t accomplished anything? Busy doesn’t always mean productive. I can spend all day on the computer and realize I spent most of it busy surfing the internet without accomplishing anything. Yet a few minutes watching the critters outside my window gives me what I need to get things done.

I read an article about how scientists have discovered the value of those moments of distraction. Daydreaming helps us to refresh and recharge which actually makes us more productive rather than less. The article began with the story of a young man whose job was to watch a steam pump and to open a valve occasionally to release the built up pressure. His job wasn’t very exciting, but required his constant attention. He invented a mechanical way to open the valve, thus making his job unnecessary. He daydreamed his way out of a job, but proved that innovation can make life better. He then had the time to go accomplish something else. I find myself more inspired when I’ve taken a few minutes to stop thinking and just enjoy the world around me.

The scientists have recommended that we go ahead and do nothing. Rather than constantly pushing ourselves to accomplish something, it is good for us to stop and smell the roses. Or watch the birds. Or daydream about ways to get out of the work we are meant to do. For Christians, this means spending time in prayer or wondering about the goodness of the God who loves us. It means taking a sabbath rest. It means putting aside our work for a moment to ponder what is holy and sacred. By taking time to do nothing helps us to focus on the One who does everything. He will help us to do all our work, no matter how mundane. Our sabbath rest will help us to do everything for His glory, even if it is the most ordinary work. God is with us in the midst of all our circumstances. We take advantage of time because we are constantly trying to accomplish something that will make us successful, but we are encouraged to do what we do to give God the triumph in our lives.

Today’s passage is a liturgical hymn of praise used in Temple worship on the Sabbath after the exile, in the morning when the sacrifice was offered. The promise from Ezekiel was being realized. The people were joyful and thankful that God rescued them, restored them and replanted them in their home. They were growing again, and they were happy. When the psalmist says, “I will triumph in the works of your hands” he is not talking about his own triumph, but that God will accomplish great things through him. It is all about God’s hands, all about God’s works, all about God’s triumph. All that we have, all that we are, is thanks to God.  Those moments of daydreaming, of letting go of the busy-ness of our lives, are moments when we can ponder the triumph of God and what He can and does do in our lives. We both sing of His success and are successful in His grace. He is faithful. His lovingkindness is manifest in the lives of His people. When we take time to do nothing, we are renewed so that we can share His grace so that the world will know that He is God, no matter what we manage to accomplish each day.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday.  The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.