A WORD FOR TODAY, November 5, 2021

Peggy Hoppes

Nov 5, 2021, 11:34:08 AM11/5/21
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, November 5, 2021

“When he came down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. Behold, a leper came to him and worshiped him, saying, ‘Lord, if you want to, you can make me clean.’ Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, ‘I want to. Be made clean.’ Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. Jesus said to him, ‘See that you tell nobody; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” Matthew 8:1-4, WEB

Ole Bull was a noted Norwegian violinist who was widely known as a composer and artist of incredible skill. He lived in the nineteenth century, taught himself how to play and appeared throughout Europe and America. While traveling through a forest in England, Ole lost his way and ended up in the home of a hermit who fed and lodged him for a night. While they sat together that evening before a warm fire, the hermit began to play a broken and worn violin. The instrument squeaked as he stroked some simple songs on the strings. Ole asked the hermit if he could have a try. The hermit did not know Ole’s fame as a violinist and warned that it had taken him years to learn how to play and did not think Ole could do it. Ole said, “Let me try,” and the hermit wept as he heard the beautiful music produced by a master violinist even on such a battered and worn violin.

The screeching of a poorly played violin can make our skin crawl, and I can imagine how horrible it must have been with loose strings and a stiff bow. There are many musicians who would never even consider playing on an old, used instrument. They want a violin with tight strings and a supple bow. Yet, the master violinist longed to touch the violin and make it sing despite its imperfections.

Isn’t that how it is with people? We are all battered and worn by the world, and yet there are those who are in worse shape than others. There are outcasts of society, they are rejected and ridiculed. In Jesus’ day it was the lepers. They suffered from a skin disease that set them apart from the community. No one could even touch these victims and they were separated from everything they knew and loved. The disease ate away at their flesh, but the human reaction did far more damage, destroying their heart and spirit. I imagine that for many, death was the only escape. Jesus offered hope to those who suffered such a terrible disease. When they heard about the miracles and authority of Jesus, they knew that He could make a difference in their lives.

The man didn’t ask Jesus to be disobedient to the laws of the Jews, but Jesus knew that the man needed more than just a healing of his flesh. He needed to be touched personally by the Master, even though he was broken and worn. Jesus could very well have healed this man with just a word, taken away the leprosy without ever being near the disease. He could have even healed the man and then touched him, saving himself the problem of being made unclean. But Jesus gave more than what was needed or expected.  He reached out and touched the man in His dis-ease, repairing the damage that was done not only to His skin but also to His heart and mind.

The master violinist knew there was beautiful music in that old instrument despite the squeaky sounds produced by the hermit. He took the violin and it was transformed in the hands of the master.

Who are the lepers of today? Who are the ones we cast out of society because they are battered and worn by the consequences of living in this sin filled world? Who are the ones we are unwilling to touch for fear they will make us unclean? Jesus reaches out and touches all in their need, no matter what their appearance or malady. He reaches beyond the visible need and touches the heart and spirit, bringing healing and peace. He brings out the beautiful music of our lives even if it seems like we are nothing more than broken old instruments to the world.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org.