A WORD FOR TODAY, April 18, 2023

Peggy Hoppes

Apr 18, 2023, 11:46:20 AM4/18/23
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, April 18, 2023

“Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil. Cling to that which is good. In love of the brothers be tenderly affectionate to one another; in honor preferring one another; not lagging in diligence; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope; enduring in troubles; continuing steadfastly in prayer; contributing to the needs of the saints; given to hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless, and don’t curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice. Weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Don’t set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Don’t be wise in your own conceits. Repay no one evil for evil. Respect what is honorable in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as it is up to you, be at peace with all men.” Romans 12:9-18, WEB

I was once looking through the videos at a department store when an elderly woman began to ask me questions. She wanted to know if I had seen a particular movie, whether I liked it, and if I would recommend it to her. She wondered which ones I thought she might enjoy. She followed me from rack to rack, discussing price, stars, and other things. Even when I was finished with my choice, she continued to chat. It was a pleasant conversation, but I needed to leave.

I don’t know what made the woman talk to me so long. I found it hard to believe that someone could trust a complete stranger’s opinion, but I think the woman was more interested in conversation than my choice in movies. We wandered around the store a bit together until I finally told her I had to go. She gave me a hug and told me to have a good day. I guess she needed a friend, and I could be one for just that moment.

We don’t know what is going on in people’s lives, sometimes even our friends. We don’t want to share our struggles with others for so many reasons. We don’t want to trouble them. We are embarrassed by our problems. We think we can handle them ourselves. We are afraid that we will be rejected. At some point in our lives, we deal with something. It doesn’t matter how prepared we might be, we live in a fallen and broken world and troubles come to everyone sometime. Sometimes I feel like that woman, starting conversations with strangers. I’m really an introvert, but even the most reserved people have moments when we seek to make a connection with other human beings.

I could have been frustrated by the woman following me around the store. I could have gotten angry or rejected her. Somehow, though, God put me in the path of that woman for a moment, to make a connection, to give her some joy. It was a chance for me to be kind. It doesn’t take much to touch a person in their needs, even if we do not know the specifics of their struggles. One of my Lenten practices was to send a note each day to someone that God put on my heart. I was surprised at how many of those people received that note when they most needed it. I don’t know their struggles, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is being a presence, making a connection, sharing a moment of grace and kindness.

I know many people would have rejected that woman in the store. As a matter of fact, I’ve read too many stories of people talking about how they did just that not only to strangers but also to family and friends. They reacted to someone’s need with cruelty, never considering that they might just need a moment of grace.

Paul tells us to love genuinely. The cross calls us to do what is right not for the reward it will bring but rather because love demands it. It is hard to let someone’s struggles invade our own lives, but love demands what is hard. We are to rejoice in hope; not hope in the glory but rather hope in the cross. How many of us really want to be patient in suffering or persevere in prayer when it appears God is unwilling to answer our way? Paul’s words get even harder. How do we bless our enemy? Is it really possible to be humble in this world of ours? What if, like Jonah, we know God will not avenge us but will seek our enemy’s repentance? How can we let go and treat our persecutors as if they deserved our compassion and mercy? How can we let Christ die for the sake of all human flesh when most people will never deserve His grace? We do so by being kind, responding to the needs of those around us, even when we don’t know what they are. Listen for God’s voice and obey. You might just give someone some joy that they didn’t know they could feel.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org