A WORD FOR TODAY, August 29, 2022

Peggy Hoppes

Aug 29, 2022, 11:16:20 AM8/29/22
to awordf...@googlegroups.com

Blessings. Peg

www.awordfortoday.org

A WORD FOR TODAY, August 29, 2022

“King Herod heard this, for his name had become known, and he said, ‘John the Baptizer has risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him.’ But others said, ‘He is Elijah.’ Others said, ‘He is a prophet, or like one of the prophets.’ But Herod, when he heard this, said, ‘This is John, whom I beheaded. He has risen from the dead.’ For Herod himself had sent out and arrested John, and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, for he had married her. For John said to Herod, ‘It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.’ Herodias set herself against him, and desired to kill him, but she couldn’t, for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and kept him safe. When he heard him, he did many things, and he heard him gladly. Then a convenient day came, that Herod on his birthday made a supper for his nobles, the high officers, and the chief men of Galilee. When the daughter of Herodias herself came in and danced, she pleased Herod and those sitting with him. The king said to the young lady, ‘Ask me whatever you want, and I will give it to you.’ He swore to her, ‘Whatever you shall ask of me, I will give you, up to half of my kingdom.’ She went out, and said to her mother, ‘What shall I ask?’ She said, ‘The head of John the Baptizer.’ She came in immediately with haste to the king, and asked, ‘I want you to give me right now the head of John the Baptizer on a platter.’ The king was exceedingly sorry, but for the sake of his oaths, and of his dinner guests, he didn’t wish to refuse her. Immediately the king sent out a soldier of his guard, and commanded to bring John’s head, and he went and beheaded him in the prison, and brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the young lady; and the young lady gave it to her mother. When his disciples heard this, they came and took up his corpse, and laid it in a tomb.” Mark 6:14-29, WEB

John said, “He must increase, but I must decrease.”

John had a huge following until Jesus gained popularity. John the Baptist heralded the coming of the Christ, proclaiming the kingdom of God and calling for the repentance of the people. He was sent first to warn the Jews that they must turn back to God, or they would miss the Messiah for whom they were waiting. The Jews were longing for deliverance; they wanted to be freed from the Romans that bound and oppressed them. Yet, they did not realize they were bound by an even harsher master: Satan, the father of sin and death. It was not an earthly kingdom that was coming, but God’s kingdom and the salvation that was to be offered was not for the flesh. Jesus Christ brought eternal life to those who believe, and John the Baptist prepared the way.

But the time came when John had to decrease. It would have been much better if John could have just retired to the wilderness, but John’s life ended in a horrific and pointless way.

In most things, Mark’s Gospel is a rapid, almost journalistic accounting of the events surrounding the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. In this story, however, Mark adds a sidenote about the beheading of John the Baptist. It is not enough to imply Herod’s judgment against John; Mark tells us the whole story. Mark tells us about the rumors about Jesus, that He might be a prophet, or even Elijah. Herod fears that Jesus is John raised from the dead. We might wonder how that could be, but it makes sense. Jesus only became widely known after John was beheaded and He was doing things that no man could do. He came out of nowhere, so it seemed, and Herod worried that John came back to destroy him.

This is perhaps why Mark gives us a flashback to the story of John’s death. According to Mark, John preached against the unseemly relationship between Herod and Herodias, since she was his brother’s wife. Herodias wanted John dead. Herod willingly imprisoned John but would not have had him killed. Herod liked to listen to John and was afraid because John seemed to have an authority greater than his.

On the other hand, Herodias did not like John, and she waited for a convenient moment to end his ministry. It came when Herod was having a huge banquet with all the important people of his kingdom. Herodias’ daughter danced for them, and Herod was so besotted by her that he promised anything she desired. She asked her mother, and they demanded John’s head. Herod feared John but was more concerned about his image in the eyes of the great officials in his banqueting hall, so he had John beheaded and the head given to the girl on a platter.

I doubt the girl really appreciated the gift. She probably would have preferred jewels or dresses or a handsome husband. But she wanted to make her mother happy. Herodias’ hatred of John brought his life and ministry to an end. John decreased in the most dramatic way. As horrific as this story is, perhaps it was necessary for John to have a definitive end so that there would be no confusion as to who the disciples should follow. Some of John’s disciples were already moving toward Jesus, but without their leader, the rest could move on to the One who was the true Messiah. Of course, there was always confusion about the identity of Jesus, and many did not believe in Him. But John accomplished his purpose: to make the way of the Lord.

Today we remember the beheading of John the Baptist. This story reminds us that hatred leads to horrific and pointless acts. It destroys life. Despite that truth, God can use even the most horrific and pointless acts of man to accomplish His purpose, like the way John pointed to the Messiah even as He suffered death. Let us thank God for John’s ministry and praise God that Jesus increased so that He might accomplish His work of saving God’s people for eternity.

A WORD FOR TODAY is posted five days a week – Monday through Friday. The devotional on Wednesday takes a look at the scripture from the Revised Common Lectionary for the upcoming Sunday.  A WORD FOR TODAY is posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Word-for-Today-Devotional/339428839418276. Like the page to receive the devotion through Facebook. For information and to access our archives, visit http://www.awordfortoday.org