awe6 RC 2.3.642 released to haxelib

Rob Fell

Apr 15, 2014, 8:11:51 PM4/15/14
to aw...@googlegroups.com
We released 2.3.642 to Haxelib today.  It includes several bug fixes as a result of community use, so big thanks to all those who contributed over the last 5 months!

As a bonus prize this release includes two new HTML5 drivers:
  1. The new OpenFL-html5 driver (based on Pixi.js) addresses many issues associated with the slower but more robust DOM version. But it's bleeding edge so has some gotchas (text and audio).  OpenFL team will likely fix these as demand for that backend picks up.
  2. The CreateJS driver is very robust, with all features working as expected *
For an example of what can be achieved with the latter see b10b games' "IonDrift" mobile web edition here:

This game combines several Haxe libraries: awe6, physaxe, CreateJS externs.  2D games are even easier, and more performant - and we hope to share some example links soon.  It's never been easier (or faster) to deploy a game to mobile that can be played free of App Stores, installations or privacy concerns.  Very exciting times.

* please be aware that CreateJS isn't a directly interchangeable Flash API driver (like Swf, or the OpenFL options) so it needs some special consideration when targeting for it (not least of which a html file).  So we created a FlashDevelop template to assist.

Valerie Elimak

Apr 15, 2014, 10:00:40 PM4/15/14
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Looks great!
Are you using (or considering to use) the webgl support with createjs?

Valerie Alloix

@elimak

Rob Fell

Apr 16, 2014, 12:30:42 PM4/16/14
to aw...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, considering WebGL for sure, and there is active development going on off-project.  The CreateJS team have made huge progress, with the "Next" version including some neat approaches towards WebGL, and fallbacks to Canvas.  For general reference:

Implementing this in awe6 is therefore quite trivial (when the time is right).  My general strategy for driver implementation is to develop bleeding edge ones away from this project's repo, and when they have been used in a commercial project I merge them back.  That might be a bad strategy?!

So we'd likely include WebGL into awe6 CreateJS driver when:

1) CreateJS current version includes SpriteStage & SpriteContainer as default
2) nicklaie's CreateJS haxe externs reflect this (haxelib ID "createjs")
3) WebGL makes a viable difference in the mobile market share (getting close to that imo)

If not wanting to wait, then clone the awe6 createjs driver, update to "Next" CreateJS, and swap the awe6.core.Context typedef to point to createjs.easeljs.SpriteContainer, and the entry point Stage to be createjs.easeljs.SpriteStage (in Main).  Use untyped, or patch createjs externs accordingly.  Disable Text, or replace with Bitmap Fonts.  Disclaimer: currently untested.  But this would mean all content is WebGL ... which leads me to ...

Consideration of a two Stage approach that would allow WebGL content to sit underneath non-WebGL content.  This should be handled unobtrusively within awe6 - e.g. WebGL Views attached to Scenes at priorities < 0, and non WebGL Views attached to Scenes at priorities > 0.  Think game rendering Entities as subsystems (2D or 3D).  This can also help for combining Three.js content (wrapped as an Entity) with a conventional DisplayList.

Input & assumption corrections welcomed!