SGS3 problems? Anyone else?

Azid Zeyre

Apr 30, 2013, 11:32:42 AM4/30/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I've been trying to test out some of my Awe6 games on some colleague's S3's, and for some reason, when they try getting past the intro screen, the app bugs out and they return to their app drawer...
Anyone else having this issue?

Regards,
Azid

Azid Zeyre

May 10, 2013, 8:44:23 PM5/10/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
So anyone else having problems with the S3?
Also, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's this place called manymo
https://www.manymo.com/
where you can upload apks and test via a cloud emulator for Android. Really neat.

Rob, any idea what it miiight be? I'm thinking of importing to eclipse and trying to debug with adb....

Rob Fell

May 11, 2013, 2:06:13 AM5/11/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Maybe try this latest patch:

I found that having fully bubbling messages on init and dispose was resource intensive if there are 100s of entities.
That hit shows up most on a scene change, so it may be related?

Azid Zeyre

May 11, 2013, 2:31:21 AM5/11/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Hey, would it be possible to wrap that in a zip for me? I've not subversion set up, it'd be really neat if you could put it in a zip? Just a request, or I can go set up subversion on my dev machine!

Hope this works... On the S3's, the app gets to the intro screen, but when I try to click to go to the game, it doesn't work. This has been so for all of the little Awe6 games I've made, I don't think they're too super resource-intensive...

Rob Fell

May 12, 2013, 1:49:37 PM5/12/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
An easy way to grab a few files without an svn client is to follow the revision link, then view each file following the links, then right click and save-as for each file via the "View raw file" link:

So for revision 548 it would be these 2 urls:

Then copy them over the respective files in your haxelib awe6 installation.

Azid Zeyre

May 12, 2013, 5:15:25 PM5/12/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Did so, but then when I tried to run, I got errors
C:\Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\awe6/1,3,522/awe6/core/Entity.hx:49: lines 49-348 : Field view has different property access than in awe6.interfaces.IViewable ((get_view,null) should be (_get_view,null))
C:\Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\awe6/1,3,522/awe6/core/Entity.hx:49: lines 49-348 : Field isActive has different property access than in awe6.interfaces.IPauseable ((default,set_isActive) should be (default,_set_isActive))
C:\Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\awe6/1,3,522/awe6/core/Process.hx:42: lines 42-206 : Field isActive has different property access than in awe6.interfaces.IPauseable ((default,set_isActive) should be (default,_set_isActive))
Build halted with errors (haxelib.exe).

Urk, I think I'm prettty behind with the patches, maybe a previous patch added something else... I'll see about svn now. WOld rather not go back and copy/paste everything from prior patches.

Hmmm.. I hope this issue gets fixed. S3s and related Samsung phones are pretty popular, wouldn't want an app to halt on those.

Rob Fell

May 13, 2013, 12:34:17 PM5/13/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my mistake, these latest files are totally incompatible because of the Haxe3 migration changes.
Instead, see the revision diffs, and copy and paste only those methods over the older files' corresponding methods.  Then it should be fine.

Azid Zeyre

Aug 15, 2013, 8:25:16 PM8/15/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Hey, so I finally managed to borrow a teammate's Galaxy S4 to test our game on. I've had scaling issues, but I'm trying to address those elsewhere in a different post.

An odd thing happens; the game apk does open, and I can see the intro screen. However, tapping the screen to go to the next screen doesn't work. In fact, if I just wait a few seconds on the intro screen, the app closes on its own. I tried the debug version, and nothing happens. It's like the scene initialises, and then freezes up before anything starts.

By this I mean that things are indeed drawn on screen, and the little debug ticker that openFL adds to the corner does show up, but it does not function, and after a few seconds, crashes.

I don't see any log output to the log in the flahsdevelop output window, even in debug mode. Heck, I even tried importing the Android project into Eclipse to make the apk manually and install, and it still didn't work, nor give me anything useful to try and figure out what the problem is.

Apparently I can run projects written in just OpenFL without awe6, so I think the problem is somewehre in Awe6 rather than with OpenFL.

:\ Any thoughts/ideas? This project runs just fine on my own Android phone, an LG Thrill. It runs as I described above on a teammates Galaxy S3 and another teammate's Galaxy S4.

Azid Zeyre

Aug 17, 2013, 10:29:50 AM8/17/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so I ran a b lank OpenFL proejct, and that ran/stayed open alright on the phone.

I ran my game coded in Awe6, and the graphics assets load but freezes up and crashes.

Then I ran the blank Awe6 OpenFL template, and the same thing happened :\

This is all on a Galaxy S4...

On my own phone, all three of these work.
Would really like to get this figured out...

Kindest Regards,
Azid Zeyre

Rob Fell

Aug 19, 2013, 12:39:37 PM8/19/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
I am speculating (I don't have access to a G4) ... perhaps it is a similar issue to the iOS config.xml bundle issue?  Some options to try are here:

Easiest one to try first is to inline the config.xml, or replicate the HelloWorld example.

If no success, then try stripping down to nothing (i.e. no assets, no fonts), and then add back the assets to see which one is causing the problem on this device.

Azid Zeyre

Aug 19, 2013, 10:35:08 PM8/19/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Great,thanks! I'll try!

Liam Routt

Nov 15, 2013, 8:37:27 AM11/15/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Was there a result to this?

I've just tried to export my prototype to Android and I'm finding the same thing - runs on the intro page for 8 seconds, then crashes out (or something).

Everything works fine on neko, iOS, flash, windows.

I don't own an Android device, but I've been getting a friend to try builds for me.

Any further insights here?

Take care,

Liam Routt

Rob Fell

Nov 15, 2013, 11:21:39 AM11/15/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
No results that I know of.  Makes me question what's happening at the 8 second mark?

Is the Intro scene updating prior to that, or just frozen (in which case the 8 second is a non-responsiveness timeout)?

Or if the Intro scene is updating perhaps the 8 second mark represents a timeout to something else that has failed - e.g. a SharedObject save, an asset load, or another bad request (e.g. audio format), garbage collection or memory consumption - I am speculating.

If possible try slimming it down to a minimal, e.g. removing the SceneTransition, Overlay, Session save.  Thanks.

Azid Zeyre

Nov 15, 2013, 12:37:40 PM11/15/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I wasn't able to find much after this issue.. :\ I ended up looking info HaxeFlixel, and that seemed to work okay, though I'm still figuring out scaling issues for mobile.

Liam Routt

Nov 15, 2013, 9:29:51 PM11/15/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Well, my app had no sound at all, so that should be one thing off the list.

I've created the simple HelloWorld referred to above, and I'll get that tested, then go from there (and report back).

Take care,

Liam

Liam Routt

Nov 16, 2013, 9:19:03 AM11/16/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
OK. The simple Hello World seems to have run without any problem at all.

I'm slowly adding bits back in. I will report back at the point where a problem appears.

Take care,

Liam

Liam Routt

Nov 21, 2013, 2:10:59 AM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
OK. I've gotten somewhere, the following version fails.

Interestingly, my tester was able to get a screenshot for the first few seconds (perhaps 4?) then it locked up, and finally crashed as before, after about 8 seconds.

The screenshot shows that the text is as I expect it on the screen, so everything has worked to this point.

Given the comments earlier about the possibility that the config file might be the problem I am reverting to loading the config from the string, and I'll test that. If that version works fine, then it would appear the config file is a problem. The other possibility is something with the AssetManager, which is exactly as in the template created for FlashDevelop, and loads the font for us.

I will confirm one way or the other, I hope.

package ;
import awe6.extras.gui.Text;
import awe6.Types;
import awe6.core.TextStyle;
import flash.Lib;
import test.my.hello.AssetManager;
import haxe.Resource;

class Main
{
        static function main()
        {
                //new Factory( Lib.current, false, l_config );
                new Factory( Lib.current, false, Resource.getString( "config" ) );
        }
}

class Factory extends AFactory
{
private var _assetManager:AssetManager;
override private function _configurer( p_isPreconfig:Bool = false ):Void
{
if ( p_isPreconfig )
{
id = "Hello";
version = "1.0.3";
author = "me";
isDecached = true;
width = Lib.current.stage.stageWidth;  // 768;
height = Lib.current.stage.stageHeight;  // 1024;
bgColor = 0xffFFFFFF;  // 0xFF999999;
targetFramerate = 20;
isFixedUpdates = false;
}
}

override public function createScene( p_type:EScene ):IScene
{
var l_scene = new Scene( _kernel, p_type );
var l_fontName:String = _assetManager.font.fontName;
var l_textStyle:TextStyle = new TextStyle(l_fontName, 30);
var l_text:Text;
l_scene.addEntity( l_text = new Text( _kernel, width, height, _kernel.getConfig( "message" ) + " version " + version, l_textStyle ), true );
l_text.setPosition(40, 60);
return l_scene;
}

override public function createAssetManager():IAssetManagerProcess
{
if ( _assetManager == null )
{
_assetManager = new AssetManager( _kernel );
}
return _assetManager;
}
}

Take care,

Liam

Liam Routt

Nov 21, 2013, 7:00:21 AM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
OK, I can confirm that loading the config from the file, rather than a string, is the change which makes this simple example fail. This was mentioned earlier as a possible area of concern.

If there are further tests I can run, in order to help fix this issue with Android, I'd be happy to assist in any way possible.

I will now go back to the app I was working on and put my config into a string and see if it will run with just that adjustment.

Take care,

Liam

Liam Routt

Nov 21, 2013, 8:09:16 AM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
This is probably not the right place for it, but in order to get my config file to parse, I had to modify core/drivers/AFactory.hx, lines 156-163 to:

if ( i.firstChild() == null )
{
config.set( l_name, "");
}
else
{
var l_nodeType = i.firstChild().nodeType;
if ( (l_nodeType != Xml.Element) && (l_nodeType != Xml.Document) )
{
config.set( l_name, i.firstChild() == null ? "" : i.firstChild().nodeValue );
//trace( l_name + " = " + config.get( l_name ) );
for ( j in i.attributes() )
{
var l_aName:String = l_name + "." + j;
config.set( l_aName, i.get( j ) );
//trace( l_aName + " = " + config.get( l_aName ) );
}
}
}

Otherwise when I removed the extra newlines from the config file to make it a string, the code was falling over after parsing the asset packages element, as it tried to find the content of the assets element itself, which in the file version at least contains a newline, but in the one-line string version does not. There is probably a more elegant rephrasing than my quick fix. I'm just eager to get a version of my app to my Android tester to see whether it now works.

Take care,

Liam

Azid Zeyre

Nov 21, 2013, 10:17:46 AM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Odd... GOod to hear your code's working for now! :D Let's hope this gets fixed!

Rob Fell

Nov 21, 2013, 2:18:08 PM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this.

As you mention this fix is issue specific because if patched back in the library it would cause other issues (because attributes for null value elements won't parse).
So I've not many any updates to SVN yet.

I've reviewed the surrounding code to see how a newline may cause issues, and haven't spotted anything yet.  Baffled!?

Azid Zeyre

Nov 21, 2013, 2:25:53 PM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Many baffles!

Liam Routt

Nov 21, 2013, 5:35:42 PM11/21/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
What of the base issue of the problem of the config file under Android? Is there an easy solution to that?

I guess ideally one would want to solve them both, so that an inline string would be parseable and a string able to be used as well.

Just to confirm, my full app works fine on Android when I load the config from a string; this was the only showstopper as far as I can tell.

I'm looking at expressing my config as a multiline string for the time-being.

Take care,

Liam

Liam Routt

Nov 30, 2013, 12:18:29 AM11/30/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I haven't been well, but the code I suggested was simply not right, basically leaving out all of the attributes in the config file. How did I manage that?

Here's the corrected version:

if ( i.firstChild() == null )
{
config.set( l_name, "");
}
else
{
var l_nodeType = i.firstChild().nodeType;
if ( (l_nodeType != Xml.Element) && (l_nodeType != Xml.Document) )
{
config.set( l_name, i.firstChild() == null ? "" : i.firstChild().nodeValue );
}
else
{
config.set( l_name, "");
}
}
//trace( l_name + " = " + config.get( l_name ) );
for ( j in i.attributes() )
{
var l_aName:String = l_name + "." + j;
config.set( l_aName, i.get( j ) );
//trace( l_aName + " = " + config.get( l_aName ) );
}

Apologies for the mistake!

Take care,

Liam

Rob Fell

Dec 2, 2013, 12:02:48 PM12/2/13
to aw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Liam, patch added to svn revision 612: