ShadingColorMaterial, no color?

savagelook

Jun 13, 2010, 11:15:02 PM6/13/10
to Away3D.dev
http://savagelook.com/demos/materials/sandbox.html

I'm using away3d 3.5 and you can view source with a right click. I
was creating a little app to learn about all the materials away3d has
to offer and get a sense of how they perform, and I hit a snag. When
I apply a ShadingColorMaterial to my sphere, I get nothing but black.
I have a directional light pointing directly at it (0,0,1), and it can
be seen when you apply any of the other materials that are affected by
light that I have gotten to so far, but not the ShadingColorMaterial.
Any ideas?

savagelook

Jun 14, 2010, 12:53:01 PM6/14/10
to Away3D.dev
any ideas?

savagelook

Jun 15, 2010, 2:13:14 PM6/15/10
to Away3D.dev
pretty please

Ralph Brooker

Jun 15, 2010, 2:20:14 PM6/15/10
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the same directional light source for your
PhongColorMaterial?

I believe that in 3.5 the directional light's direction property
represents the direction the light is going towards, which is the opposite
of the position property in the old Away3D, which represented the
direction the light was coming from. So maybe your light is behind the
sphere?

I would also suggest adding a Trident to your scene - they are great for
debugging directions.

Ralph

savagelook

Jun 15, 2010, 3:15:41 PM6/15/10
to Away3D.dev
I'm using the same directional light for all the materials listed in
the demo. That's what is so confusing. All the other shaded
materials are acting as I would expect, but the ShadingColorMaterial
shows nothing.

Ralph B

Jun 16, 2010, 10:51:13 AM6/16/10
to Away3D.dev
I am also having the same problem with the Away3D trunk version. It
works OK in 3.4.2 though. Is this a bug in 3.5 or is there a
different way we are supposed to use ShadingColorMaterial in 3.5?

What are the valid combinations of materials and lights in 3.5? I
can't find this info in the docs or source code.

All my objects and primitives that look fine in 3.4.2 are either black
or invisible when compiled with the current trunk version, even after
fixing errors due to syntax changes.

Ralph

savagelook

Jun 16, 2010, 11:09:43 AM6/16/10
to Away3D.dev
good, im not crazy :)

Ralph B

Jun 16, 2010, 3:05:39 PM6/16/10
to Away3D.dev
Rob or Fabrice, can you give us some guidance please? Thanks in
advance...

On Jun 16, 11:09 am, savagelook <anthony.lukasav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> good, im not crazy :)
>
> On Jun 16, 10:51 am, Ralph B <ra...@satprof.com> wrote:
>
> > I am also having the same problem with the Away3D trunk version.  It
> > works OK in 3.4.2 though.  Is this a bug in 3.5 or is there a
> > different way we are supposed to useShadingColorMaterialin 3.5?

savagelook

Jun 24, 2010, 9:31:55 AM6/24/10
to Away3D.dev
No help here?

Rob Bateman

Jul 2, 2010, 9:00:06 AM7/2/10
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Hey savagelook

have  you tried adjustin gthe brightness property on the directional light? this may be out of whack - the dot3 and phong materials use a different render process so may need updating to simulate the same light levels as the shadingcolormaterial

Rob
--
Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

rob.b...@gmail.com
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

mikerz

Jul 22, 2010, 3:36:49 PM7/22/10
to Away3D.dev
I have tried this... it just gets duller. I am looking at middle-gray
ribbons flying around which are colored with bitmapmaterial...