Away3D 4.0/3.6 on ipad?

Skip to the first unread message

NDAway3D

6 Dec 2011, 15:03:3906/12/2011
to Away3D.dev
Does anyone have a workflow for creating Away3D apps on an iPad or
iPad2? Does Away3D 4.0 work on the devices yet? How about Away3D
3.6? Any examples or blogs would be great, but I would really
appreciate a template using FlashBuilder.

Diogo Moraes

6 Dec 2011, 16:44:0606/12/2011
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Forget about Away4 on Mobiles for now. AIR with support for Stage3D is planned for the first half of next year only.

As for 3.6, I believe you could do it easily, like loading a swf inside a mobile project on FlashBuilder.

Jerome

7 Dec 2011, 09:11:1007/12/2011
to Away3D.dev
I use AIR/Flash for web and Desktop and Unity3D for mobile. With
Away3D 4 and Stage3D, switching to Unity3D is not that hard. 3D assets
for one work with other. The only issues I found were 2D GUI in Unity
is terrible, compared to what can easily be done in Flash. And of
course the licensing costs!

On Dec 6, 9:44 pm, Diogo Moraes <srto....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forget about Away4 on Mobiles for now. AIR with support for Stage3D is
> planned for the first half of next year only.
>
> As for 3.6, I believe you could do it easily, like loading a swf inside a
> mobile project on FlashBuilder.

NDAway3D

7 Dec 2011, 10:45:0907/12/2011
to Away3D.dev
Thanks for the info.

I was researching Unity, but the license makes it prohibitive for
small budget commercial projects.

Are there any (free) templates available for setting up a very basic
Away3D iPad app? I am mostly looking for a 2D/3D template, or a
tutorial, that will eventually allow me to put in the models, add 2D
text, and be able to interact with the environment on an app.

Ivan Moreno

7 Dec 2011, 11:56:4607/12/2011
to Away3D.dev
Hello ND,

I used Away3D a few months ago for a project in android and runs
pretty well (Air 2.7). How I did it, was basically as any other AS
project but in this particular case I started a mobile AS project
instead, using flex4.5 or above. Unfortunately you cannot render over
1000 polygons without experiencing some lack of frames per second, so
if it’s just a simple model visualization it should work, but you have
to really optimize your code being careful with rendering options
methods, selecting materials, animations and of course clean models.
Depending of what do you need to do, you can try Away3D 3.6.0 or
Away3DLite for better performance.
Best,
Ivan Moreno
http://www.thefloatingwall.com/