Does anyone know a vocabulary that has current and past country names?

Lesley Wyborn

Jun 5, 2023, 6:54:51 AM6/5/23
to av...@googlegroups.com

Dear all

A friend who is rescuing historical geochemical data has asked me if I know of a

vocabulary for countries of the world?

She is looking for one that includes names of countries that no longer exist, ideally with mapping of deprecated terms to the current countries.

Does anyone know if such a vocabulary exists and if is accessible online?

Take care

Lesley

Thomas Shafee

Jun 5, 2023, 7:06:43 AM6/5/23
to Lesley Wyborn, av...@googlegroups.com

You could likely use wikidata. For example, Myanmar (Q836) lists:

(though I notice most of the statements are unreferenced, which is far from ideal)

All the best,

Thomas

Mgr. Research Analytics Swinburne University, Melbourne

Exec Director WikiJournal User Group | Editor WikiJournal of Science | Editor PLOS Genetics | Editor WikiJournal of Medicine

 ORCID |  LinkedIn |  GScholar |  AltMetric |  Wikipedia

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png
image006.png

Edmond Chuc

Jun 5, 2023, 7:34:32 AM6/5/23
to Thomas Shafee, Lesley Wyborn, av...@googlegroups.com
There's also GeoNames. Following on from the Myanmar example, here is the HTML view and here it is in RDF/XML. Converting the RDF/XML data to RDF Turtle, the data looks like this https://gist.github.com/edmondchuc/ad6fbf3fc9d4b51e349bc7a9c1ef0917.

I also found this one Concept: Myanmar/Burma from Eionet which also conveniently provides the ISO 3166 codes.

Cheers,

Edmond

Kenna, Erin (Environment, Dutton Park)

Jun 5, 2023, 9:18:24 AM6/5/23
to Lesley Wyborn, av...@googlegroups.com

This might be of interest.

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/demcon/vignettes/ccode-considerations.html

A quick read doesn’t seem to mention any mapping of old name(s) to new name(s).

The references includes CShapes which has spatial data with dates which could be useful.

Cheers,

Erin

Jun 6, 2023, 4:34:53 AM6/6/23
to Kenna, Erin (Environment, Dutton Park), Lesley Wyborn, av...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

For past country codes you will need to access the “archive of changes to ISO 3166”, ISO - ISO 3166 — Country Codes

Regards,

Shanti

Sent from Mail for Windows