Seeking when the transcoder is open

Mario

Jul 11, 2015, 11:12:54 AM7/11/15
to avblocks...@googlegroups.com
I am writing a specialized video player. The only missing piece is the ability to seek for a specific point in time.

The following works:
this.Transcoder.Inputs[0].TimePosition
this.Transcoder.Open()
this.Transcoder.PullUnmanaged ...

The following does not work:
this.Transcoder.Open()
this.Transcoder.Inputs[0].TimePosition
this.Transcoder.PullUnmanaged ...

In other words, once the transcoder is open, I can no longer seek on the input stream. Can you tell me how to seek once the transcoder is open? Or more generally put, how can I set the time position of the input socket and have the PullUnmanged API return the media sample at that position, once the transcoder has been Open()?

Thanks so much in advance.

Svilen Stoilov

Jul 13, 2015, 4:51:39 AM7/13/15
to avblocks...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

Currently the Transcoder cannot be repositioned while it is open.
In order to start decoding from another position you to need close the Transcoder, set the new TimePosition and then reopen it.

Does this sequence work for you? What do you need in terms of Transcoder functionality so that you can implement your video player?

Thanks,
Svilen Stoilov

Mario

Jul 14, 2015, 5:10:48 PM7/14/15
to avblocks...@googlegroups.com
Hello Svilen,

Closing the transcoder and opening it creates too much of a delay when seeking back and forth. I need to be able to seek back and forth really fast as with first flushing the decoder buffer and then doing a timestamp seek to immediately fill the decoded frame queue in the background. The user experience needs to be seamless in this way. I really like the abstraction you provide in your API. For now, I'm going to have to stick with plain interop functions from FFmpeg -- which I have to say has a steep, yet interesting learning curve. Please ping me again when you add support for realtime seeking. Thanks so much again.