[ANNOUNCE] Autumn 0.5 Released

SuperJared

Nov 11, 2008, 5:37:05 PM11/11/08
to Autumn ORM
Steve Hastings sent me a large patch on October 31, with a
considerable amount of new features, fixes, and adjustments--many of
which I intended to make myself. His patch was thorough so I did not
have to change much of anything, save for the proposed version number.
He assumed it would progress from 0.4 to 0.4.1, whereas I feel these
changes warrant 0.5. What changes, you ask? Here is a portion of
Steve's email:

====

Hello. I have added some new features to Autumn, and I have gotten
permission from my bosses to submit them to you, so you can make them
officially part of Autumn if you like.

Attached is a TGZ file with the modified source code, and another TGZ
with the output of "diff -Naur" so you may easily view just the
changes.

I'm a member of a team using Python for some embedded development.
Our
embedded application is multi-threaded and uses SQLite. It turns out
that this is kind of a difficult thing, because SQLite requires a
different connection object for each thread. However, with my
modifications, Autumn becomes an extremely easy way to solve the
problems. The AutoConn() class automatically makes a new connection
object for each thread that needs one.

Also, it is now easy to have multiple SQLite databases open at the
same
time. The database connection objects are now kept in a class, and
you
just inherit from the class before you inherit from Autumn's Model()
class, so that the inheritance finds your connection object before it
finds the global one in Autumn.

Our application now has fast and efficient database access, and it is
completely stable. The modified Autumn is the best thing I have found
for multi-threaded SQLite access in Python.