Feature request: Playlist "contains"

Cody Walton

Mar 16, 2017, 8:10:17 PM3/16/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
I used to do this in iTunes. Would love to see it implemented here.

I have lots of "best of" playlists. Always named Artist + "best" (i.e. Beatles Best, Depeche Mode Best, etc). In iTunes I would have an "all best" smart playlist that combined every playlist that contained "best" in the title.

Can't do it with Autoplaylist as it only lets you choose playlist "is" or "is not".  I could create one that manually adds all the playlists together (one condition for each playlist), but I have way too many to make this efficient. And it wouldn't automatically update if I create a new "best" playlist.

Would love to see the "playlists contains" functionality added.

Simon Weber

Mar 17, 2017, 10:33:38 AM3/17/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Sure, that ought to be pretty straightforward. I've created a ticket for it: https://github.com/simon-weber/Autoplaylists-for-Google-Music/issues/140.

What do you think about naming the conditions "title contains" and "title matches (regex)" so that read together they'd be "playlist is" vs "playlist title contains"? "playlist contains..." to me implies something about songs, like maybe selecting songs in playlists that also contain a provided song (which would be trickier to do).

Cody Walton

Mar 17, 2017, 10:45:19 AM3/17/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Yes. "playlist title contains" is exactly it. That would allow automatically combining playlists with a keyword in the title. Thanks.

Simon Weber

Mar 17, 2017, 10:46:27 AM3/17/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
Sounds good! No promises on when I'll get to it, but hopefully within a week or two.

Simon Weber

Mar 19, 2017, 6:29:17 PM3/19/17
to Autoplaylists for Google Music
I decided to knock this out over the weekend since I thought it'd be easy. It turned out not to be, but it's going out with version 5.2.0 nonetheless, haha.

It ended up being simplest to reuse the existing string operators (rather than just support contains), so you'll have full access to everything you could query tracks with (contains, equals, regexes, etc).

Do kick the tires a bit with this feature: there's almost certainly some bugs I missed.