.jss recipe deprecation

Matthew Forrest

May 5, 2022, 11:17:39 AM5/5/22
to autopkg-discuss
Hi, I recently found the .jss recipes (https://github.com/autopkg/jss-recipes) have been flagged as deprecated due to pending changes to the Jamf Classic API (https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2022/01/04/basic-authentication-deprecated-for-the-jamf-pro-classic-api/).

It looks like JSSImporter is also deprecated.

To me it looks like the way forwards is to convert to JamfUploader or start using Munki.  Are there any other options?

Are there plans in the works to create .jamf recipes to replace the .jss versions?

If I can figure out this conversion, what's the best way contribute back to the community?

Regards,
Matt

Greg Neagle

May 5, 2022, 11:25:24 AM5/5/22
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
I’m not a Jamf user, but this might be helpful:

-Greg

Matthew Forrest

May 5, 2022, 11:49:36 AM5/5/22
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
That looks VERY helpful, thanks! I hadn't seen that yet.

So, now the question is if this works, do I need to convert the autopkg/jss-recipes on my own or is someone taking that on already?

--
Matthew Forrest (he/him)
System Administrator

416-979-5000 x1-554978
NOTICE: My extension has changed

**In April 2022, the university announced our new name of Toronto Metropolitan University, which will be implemented in a phased approach. Learn more about our next chapter.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "autopkg-discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autopkg-discuss/03CE6FF0-E64A-43B3-99D8-7B365A947802%40mac.com.

Greg Neagle

May 5, 2022, 12:26:55 PM5/5/22
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know the answer to that (again. not a Jamf user), but generally speaking each recipe repo has its own person or persons responsible. So the answer may differ from one recipe repo to another.

-Greg

Anthony Reimer

May 5, 2022, 12:41:47 PM5/5/22
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
If you look at the blog post Graham Pugh wrote on the new tool earlier this week, he answers that question at the end:

https://grahamrpugh.com/2022/05/03/jamf-recipe-maker.html

To confirm Graham’s caveat, the major benefit of JamfUploader over JSS Importer is that it can be applied to many more scenarios (I know JSS Importer didn’t fit my use case but JamfUploader has worked well). The down side for some is that if the recipes that Graham has converted don’t quite suit your needs, you will need to write your own. Luckily, Graham and I did a talk on this at JNUC 2021 and may be doing another such talk this summer.

Feel free to join us on the MacAdmins Slack to discuss this further. There are dedicated channels for #autopkg, #jamf-upload, and #jss-importer. There are also #toronto (very lively) and #canada channels that may interest you. You can sign up at macadamins.org if you aren’t already there.

Anthony Reimer
University of Calgary