Monterey pkgbuild provides more efficient compression option which AutoPkg could use

Armin Briegel

Oct 26, 2021, 9:16:16 AM10/26/21
to autopkg-discuss
I found out that  Monterey’s pkgbuild can use more efficient compression when you pass the option --compression latest --min-os-version XX  and the min-os-version is 10.10 and higher. (Details here: https://scriptingosx.com/2021/10/save-up-to-25-pkg-file-size-with-this-weird-monterey-trick/

If we add an argument to PkgCreator for minimum OS version then it could leverage this when running on Monterey. Recipes could then read the minimum OS version from the Applications bundle when possible or set it manually. processors like AppPkgCreator or Versioner could also use this option.

I’d like to start a discussion here first, before I start filing issues, or PRs.

(I also posted this in the MacAdmins Slack #autopkg channel.)

Armin

Nick McSpadden

Nov 24, 2021, 11:10:37 AM11/24/21
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Does this option only exist on Monterey? In other words, we'd have to make PkgCreator check if we're on Monterey, and that the package version sets the min OS to 10.10+, and then it would use it?

I'm not opposed, that seems reasonable. Are there any known compatibility issues with this?

Does it take more time to compress? What's the difference in time spent creating the package vs. time spent unpacking it on the receiving end?

Nick McSpadden
nmcsp...@gmail.com