Migrating AUTOPKGR on working machine

Allan Porter

Jul 29, 2020, 3:36:56 PM7/29/20
to autopkg-discuss
Hello,
I'm looking for advice on moving my working AUTOPKGR app to another machine and was following info from an earlier post named:  How to backup/move working installation to another Server? from June 10, 2015.

I've moved the mentioned files to my new machine and used Elliot's script but wonder, with newer versions, if anything else has changed?
Thanks,
Allan

Elliot Jordan

Aug 29, 2020, 10:22:58 PM8/29/20
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allan,

Nothing significant has changed, but in the interest of having an all-in-one link I can point people to, I'll repeat the steps here.

The steps I would recommend are slightly longer and more manual, but should avoid some common issues. They are as follows:
  1. When setting up your new Mac, it saves a bit of time to use the same username for your local account as the username on your old Mac. If you don't, some preference settings may need to be updated manually.
  2. On the new Mac, install the latest version of AutoPkgr.
  3. Launch AutoPkgr and provide local admin credentials in order to install the helper tool.
  4. Either use AutoPkgr to install Git, or download and install the latest version from git-scm.com.
  5. Either use AutoPkgr to install AutoPkg, or download the latest AutoPkg release from GitHub and install it.
  6. If you need JSSImporter or the Munki tools, use AutoPkgr to install those, or download the latest releases from GitHub.
  7. Quit AutoPkgr.
  8. On your new Mac, create a folder at ~/Library/AutoPkg/RecipeOverrides, and copy your recipe overrides from the old Mac into that location. (Note that this is the default location; yours may be custom.)
  9. Copy your recipe list(s) from this location on your old Mac to the same location on your new Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/AutoPkgr/recipe_list.txt (Note that this is the default location; yours may be custom.)
  10. On your new Mac, launch AutoPkgr. In the Repos & Recipes tab, check the boxes for each repository you need. (This would include any repository that contains a parent recipe for the overrides in your recipe list. Also any parents of parents, if they live in separate repos.)
    • Note: The reason I recommend re-adding the repos manually instead of trying to copy over the RecipeRepos folder is because Git is picky about permissions, and re-cloning will ensure you aren't held back by permissions issues later.
  11. If you use Munki, configure your Munki repo (in AutoPkgr: Folders & Integration > Configure Munki Tools).
  12. If you use JSSImporter, configure your distribution point information (in AutoPkgr: Folders & Integration > Configure JSSImporter).
  13. Set up your AutoPkgr schedule (in the Schedule tab) and notifications (in the Notifications tab).
  14. Parent recipe contents may have changed since you last updated the trust information in your overrides. Verify and update trust information in your overrides as you normally would.
  15. In the Repos & Recipes tab, click Run Recipes Now to make sure everything works as expected. Review any errors and troubleshoot if necessary.
However, if you're a power user who's very careful with permissions and relatively Git-savvy, you may be able to follow a shorter set of steps:
  1. Install the latest versions of AutoPkgr, Git, AutoPkg, and other tools you need (see links above).
  2. Quit AutoPkgr, if it's running.
  3. Copy these files from your old Mac to your new Mac:
    • ~/Library/AutoPkg (optionally, skip the Cache subfolder)
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.github.autopkg.plist
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.lindegroup.AutoPkgr.plist
    • ~/Library/Application Support/AutoPkgr
    • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lindegroup.AutoPkgr.helper.plist
    • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lindegroup.AutoPkgr.schedule.plist
    • /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.lindegroup.AutoPkgr.helper
  4. Relaunch AutoPkgr and ensure that your Schedule and Notifications tabs are configured as you expect.
    • Note: If you use email notifications, you will need to configure your SMTP settings manually. This will recreate the AutoPkgr keychain located in ~/Library/Keychains.
  5. In the Repos & Recipes tab, click Run Recipes Now to make sure everything works as expected. Review any errors and troubleshoot if necessary.
Let me know whether that works for you. It's been a while since I've had to do this process, so the feedback would be useful. Thanks,

Elliot

Allan Porter

Sep 2, 2020, 11:42:01 PM9/2/20
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elliot,
Thanks for the great explanation of the steps needed to migrate an in-place AutoPkgr to another workstation.
I think they will come in handy for users wishing to move machines.

Allan

--
Allan Porter
RE-1 Technology Department