Re: Oracle Java 8 JRE recipe

John Lockwood

Sep 21, 2023, 5:44:57 AM9/21/23
to autopkg-discuss
There is a set of recipes for downloading the Oracle Java JRE 8 at the following link

I have used this in the past but I am aware of the licensing changes made a few years ago by Oracle and in previous jobs had switched as advised to using an alternative JRE or JDK and wrote my own autopkg Munki recipes to facilitate this. I am also aware that the above recipes are now deprecated due to Oracle's changes.

In my current job however I am using a commercial Java app which frustratingly has been terribly written and only works with the Oracle 8 JRE. (I have tried several alternatives.) I have therefore actually had to buy a license for Oracle Java for the company and currently manually added the JRE installer to my Munki repo.

I can see three issues -

  1. Licensing requirement of Oracle
  2. The fact that the download contains an app not an installer pkg
  3. The fact that the download page is a JSP with dynamic code which seems to preclude scraping for the download links
As mentioned, I have bought a legal license so for me issue 1 is solved. For issue 2 I have found that inside the app inside the disk image is actually a copy of the normal installer pkg, the path is

Java 8 Update nnn.app/Contents/Resources/JavaAppletPlugin.pkg

and it is possible to extract it and run it standalone. This leaves just issue 3.

Note: Oracle do provide script friendly download links for JDK installers but not apparently for JRE installers. I am aware I could simply use the JDK as this includes full JRE functionality but the commercial Java app I am forced to use is so sensitive I suspect it would not work, I am also normally adverse to putting developer tools on normal users Macs.

If anyone has both ARM and Intel download pages that could be used with AutoPkg or even better has written download recipes this would be much appreciated.

Note: I did a checksum of a download of both the home user download link of Oracle JRE 8, and the different download link provided to licensed users of Oracle Java 8 JRE and the checksums are identical. Both links are different and both are JSP pages. The licensed link actually is a for a ZIP, containing a folder, containing a .tar.gz archive, containing a disk image, containing the app, which contains the pkg! (Oracle are crazy!)

Graham Gilbert

Sep 21, 2023, 9:53:49 AM9/21/23
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this is one of the apps that we have an interested party manually download and place in an s3 bucket that our autopkg infrastructure can pull from.