Bundle two pkgs together

David McAdam

Jun 27, 2021, 10:48:32 PM6/27/21
to autopkg-discuss
Hi,

I'm using autopkg alongside Jamf Pro. I want to bundle a plugin with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I've got working recipes for both the app and the plugin but I'd prefer the plugin to be installed alongside Adobe Reader for the sake of simplicity for the users. Is there any way to achieve this with Autopkg?

Elliot Jordan

Jun 28, 2021, 1:32:02 PM6/28/21
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

It's been a while since I used JSSImporter, but I bet you could do the following:
  • Create a script that calls a custom Jamf policy trigger.
  • Add the script to the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC policy template used by JSSImporter.
  • Adjust the plugin policy template to be triggered only by the custom trigger specified in your script (and not at recurring check-in).
The end result would be:
  1. Macs run the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC policy (either through Self Service or some other trigger of your choosing).
  2. The policy installs Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
  3. The policy runs the script that calls your plugin policy, which installs the plugin.
A word of warning, though: the "policies calling other policies" approach is easy to do in Jamf, but can make it harder to document, troubleshoot, and maintain policies.

An alternative approach might be to use the new JamfUploader style of recipes. I haven't used these yet, but I believe they might ease maintenance of a policy that (for example) installs both the Reader DC and plugin packages at the same time.

Elliot

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:48 PM David McAdam <davidmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using autopkg alongside Jamf Pro. I want to bundle a plugin with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I've got working recipes for both the app and the plugin but I'd prefer the plugin to be installed alongside Adobe Reader for the sake of simplicity for the users. Is there any way to achieve this with Autopkg?

David McAdam

Jun 28, 2021, 5:13:49 PM6/28/21
to autopkg-discuss
Hi Elliot,

Thank you! That will work just fine for me. And I'll have to take a more in-depth look at those processors. Looks very useful.

Cheers,

David

Graham Pugh

Jun 28, 2021, 5:39:38 PM6/28/21
to autopkg...@googlegroups.com
Hi David and Elliot

Although the JamfUploader processors are more flexible for creating multiple policies, I have experimented with adding multiple packages to a single recipe and it’s still not easy. The problem is that the decision for an AutoPkg recipe to run or not is determined by whether there is a new package or not. If you have two packages in the mix, you’re adding difficulty to that process.

So, although I now use JamfUploader processors, Elliot’s method is still the one I’m mostly using in such circumstances. Unless the plugin's package name does not change between version updates, you are better off creating a trigger-only policy for the plugin, and calling that policy from the application-installing policy.

The “plugin” recipe (just configuration in this case) which creates a trigger-only policy is https://github.com/eth-its/autopkg-mac-recipes-yaml/blob/main/Jamf_Recipes/SupportAppCustomisation.jamf.recipe.yaml