Updating to v0.3

Felix Jng

Sep 11, 2020, 7:13:26 AM9/11/20
to autopilot-users

Hi Jonny,

I was wondering if there is any advised strategy on updating autopilot to v0.3? Should I aim for a fresh install on the pilots and the terminal?

thanks!

Best,
Felix

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2020, 6:28:46 PM9/11/20
to autopilot-users
Hello Felix!

Proper packaging was introduced in v0.3, so yes I recommend a fresh install, and that should make upgrades easier in the future -- I recommend doing an editable install from the repo (pip install -e .)

Lots of APIs still maturing so there were breaking changes in the structure of the prefs.json file, you will need to re-run the autopilot setup to generate but should be easy to merge old prefs.

Would love to hear about any bugs that come up in the upgrade, i've done it with my rigs with little issue but independent testing always brings wonderful new breakages, don't be shy with any issues ;)

Felix Jng

Sep 14, 2020, 4:05:38 AM9/14/20
to autopilot-users
Great thanks, will do! :)

Felix Jng

Sep 16, 2020, 9:26:50 AM9/16/20
to autopilot-users

Hi Jonny,

I now tried a bit to install autopilot; and for the terminal I haven’t encountered any issues, but for the pi’s I ran into some problems. The following I tried on both a pi that I used as pilot under the old autopilot and a completely unused one (python = 3.7.3 and pip = 20.2.3). Minor issues I observed where that I ran (in both the “pure” pip install and the pip install from the repo) into the error of a missing dir under ‘./autopilot/external/pigpio’ which could be solved by simply creating the dir. Also, git-cloning the ‘wehr-lab’ repo missed the contents for both folders in the src which I added by hand. Afterwards the installation was successful and I ran the setup script also without errors (not caring about disabling bluetooth for now):

Environment Configuration: [ SUCCESS ] performance [ SUCCESS ] hifiberry [ FAILURE ] bluetooth [ SUCCESS ] jackd [ SUCCESS ] virtualenv detected, path: /home/pi/autopilot/venv Additional Messages: Launch file created at /home/pi/autopilot/launch_autopilot.sh

However, when I run the launch_autopilot.sh skript, I get the following error:

jackd: no process found pigpiod: no process found launch_autopilot.sh: 5: launch_autopilot.sh: source: not found Segmentation fault

I get the same error when I try to install all requirements etc. by apt and pip separately (not sure if this makes sense), run the setup script and run the generated launch_autopilot.sh file. I am not sure why the pilot is not sending a handshake to the terminal etc.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Best,
Felix

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 4:37:44 PM9/16/20
to autopilot-users
Ah yes these are the fun issues i was looking forward to.  I had to pack up a lot of my equipment in prep for a potential evacuation so my Pis are away right now, but i'll get to this as soon as i can -- schedule a bit full so next week is likely.

Glad you got the missing directories figured out, I'm still trying to figure out what the best way to package the project would be going forward, i had initially thought about packaging the source for jackd and pigpio and compiling the binaries with the autopilot wheel, but I changed my mind and now am thinking having external code in another repo (autopilot-external) and must not have updated the install routine. Will fix

It looks like it's trying to source a virtualenv there (source: not found) -- I always installed it from a venv and must not have tested it without one!!! for now you can remove that line and i'll also fix. If the script crashes there then yes the program will not run, no handshakes, etc.

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2020, 4:07:21 PM9/24/20
to autopilot-users
got my pis back out, will patch tomorrow, Monday latest.

Felix Jng

Sep 28, 2020, 3:06:57 AM9/28/20
to autopilot-users
Thanks a lot and sorry for my late reply, I hope of course that everything is (still) fine relating to the fires!
A brief update on my side:
I now took the following path when setting up a Pi as a pilot:

in a `venv` I installed the requirements listed at the bottom of the installations guide:

`sudo apt install -y \
build-essential \
cmake \
git \
python3-dev \
libatlas-base-dev \
libsamplerate0-dev \
libsndfile1-dev \
libreadline-dev \
libasound-dev \
i2c-tools \
libportmidi-dev \
liblo-dev \
libhdf5-dev \
libzmq-dev \
libffi-dev`

then did the install from the repo and setup the pilot which gave me no errors.
However, I ran into a `segmentation fault` error when launching the pilot after set-up, I can't really explain why this error occurs, however I "fixed" by uninstalling the JACK-Client and installing JACK-Client==0.4.6. Also, I needed to do a separate install of the pigpio package. I am not completely sure why I get these errors, but assume it's linked to git clone issue I mentioned above.

Thanks a lot !

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2020, 3:26:18 AM9/29/20
to autopilot-users
OK! Think i've solved it, please let me know if i haven't and will reopen issues, but it all installs cleanly now for me. comments in the PR, changelog, and each of the issues.

thanks for the helpful issues and your comments on the docs!!!!! :):)

https://github.com/wehr-lab/autopilot/releases/tag/v0.3.2

Felix Jng

Oct 2, 2020, 6:46:12 AM10/2/20
to autopilot-users
great, thanks again !! :)

Mikkel Roald-Arbøl

Nov 2, 2020, 12:09:03 PM11/2/20
to autopilot-users
Hi Jonny,
Just tried to re-install with Python 3.8 (for no particular reason), and came across this error:

ERROR: Package 'auto-pi-lot' requires a different Python: 3.8.6 not in '==3.7.*'

So there might be a requirement in your pip-stuff. I have no clue what packaging requires, so I'll leave it up to you at some point to change it as I could tell from the docs that it should be compatible with at least 3.6-3.8.

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2020, 3:30:02 PM11/2/20
to autopilot-users

mostly because of a dependency for the Spinnaker cams, the initial intention was to support through 3.8, and that will be the plan again once camera drivers moved to Aravis, so yes i'll go through and make sure docs reflect that.

jlsaun...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2020, 3:34:47 PM11/2/20
to autopilot-users

Mikkel Roald-Arbøl

Nov 2, 2020, 4:51:03 PM11/2/20
to autopilot-users
Ah, sorry about that, remember reading that elsewhere now... tsk tsk, memory...