IPv6 Support

CarlosM

Oct 17, 2012, 10:38:41 AM10/17/12
to auton...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm new to ANK, and I started looking into how to add IPv6 configuration support at least to the dynagen compiler (the one I will be using). However, I'd like to know if someone has gone down that path already in order to avoid unnecesary duplication of work.

cheers!

~Carlos

Simon Knight

Oct 17, 2012, 9:57:04 PM10/17/12
to auton...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

Welcome.
It sounds like you are using the current release of AutoNetkit.
There's a much improved new version available at
github.com/sk2/ank_v3_dev which is close to beta status.
This is a lot easier to work with, and will be much easier to extend -
the design and compilation code is much more succinct.

It currently creates IOS configurations, and has full support for
Quagga on Netkit. It doesn't currently create the Dynagen topology
file, but this shouldn't be too hard to put back.

The IP addressing is done in
https://github.com/sk2/ank_v3_dev/blob/master/autonetkit/plugins/ip.py
It is a little complex, as it builds trees for each AS for an optimal
allocation - to ensure that only a /28 or /29 is allocated if
required.

A simple implementation of IPv6 would be to iterate over each AS, and
allocate from a larger block. The Python network addressing library we
use, netaddr http://pypi.python.org/pypi/netaddr/ has support for
IPv6.
IPv6 is definitely something on our to-implement list.

Cheers
Simon