Hyperedge support

fosc...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2013, 5:40:16 AM9/11/13
to auton...@googlegroups.com
I can not process a file GraphML with hyperedges.
What do you advise me?

thanks

Simon Knight

Sep 12, 2013, 2:38:17 AM9/12/13
to auton...@googlegroups.com
Hyper edges are tricky! Autonetkit is based on networkx graph library, which itself doesn't support loading hyperedges from graphml.

I'm not sure what a hyper edge would actually mean in a IP network graph. It's probably a hint that we actually mean a device at a lower layer - for instance a hyper edge at layer 3 might mean a switch at layer 2 or a hub at layer 1.

What were you trying to represent?

- Simon

Sent from a mobile device.

fosc...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2013, 3:44:52 AM9/12/13
to auton...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to export the bigraphs  in GraphML format and then process them in ANK.
I abandoned this idea, and I decided to go one other way.
However, the hyperedge in bigraphs, being an abstract model, can represent many things. At the point of intersection of the edges it is possible to also contain an additional bigraph.

With regard to the hub / switch in AutoNetKit, it is not possible to represent them because the purpose of ANK is to work in the routing algorithms and so in the layer 3?

Thanks so much.

Andy

Simon Knight

Dec 4, 2013, 8:22:30 PM12/4/13
to auton...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Sorry for the delay.

I'm not quite sure how a bigraph would map to the physical device
model used in AutoNetkit.
I've found that it's often not worth the flexibility of too much
abstraction: configuration requires generating a concrete
representation of a network to generate configurations from. Adding in
too many abstraction layers can make this quite complicated to do.

You can certainly represent switches in ANK. If doing so, I'd suggest
a step that translates the physical connectivity to the layer 3
connectivity: for instance expending the links to a hub/switch to
being a clique in the OSPF, etc graphs.

Hope that helps

--Simon