Submit patches

Manolo Carrasco Moñino

Dec 3, 2009, 11:41:11 AM12/3/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,
I've been using automateit for last months and I've developed many utility classes and methods.
I'd like to know what is the best way to contribute and send these stuff

thanks
Manolo

Tim Uckun

Dec 3, 2009, 3:15:08 PM12/3/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
It's probably easiest to create a fork on gitub.

If you have supporting classes and add on libraries it's probably a
good idea to create a new project for those or fork
http://github.com/igal/osbp_automateit/ which is an example repository
of sorts.

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Dec 4, 2009, 2:26:31 AM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tim and thanks for your response.

I don't think creating a fork is worth for the community except for the case of an official branch to incorporate innovative changes or something new.

My changes adds new managers and some fixes, I want this changes to be reviewed by the developer team and be incorporated in a new release if they are good for the product. This is the way we do at ASF (apache.org).

Cheers
Manolo

Tim Uckun

Dec 4, 2009, 2:46:20 AM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino
<manuel.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tim and thanks for your response.
>
> I don't think creating a fork is worth for the community except for the case
> of an official branch to incorporate innovative changes or something new.

I was just pointing out that the easiest way to do that is to fork the
project on github and send a pull request to Igal. I didn't mean you
should permanently fork the project and support your own version.

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Dec 4, 2009, 5:48:28 AM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I understand you

I wanted to know how do you do it normally, because the official way (http://automateit.org/contact) to commit a patch seems to be  sending an email to the developers list, but it not public (you can not subscribe to it), right?.

thanks.

Tim Uckun

Dec 4, 2009, 6:11:45 AM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino
<manuel.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I understand you
>

> I wanted to know how do you do it normally, because the official way
> (http://automateit.org/contact) to commit a patch seems to be  sending an
> email to the developers list, but it not public (you can not subscribe to
> it), right?.

That's not a mailing list. The main (only?) developer is Igal. He
reads the list and I suppose you could send him a diff if you want (I
don't want to speak for him).

Github makes everything easier though. You create an account, you fork
it, you checkout your version, make the modifications and commit, you
then tell Igal to pull the changes.

If he doesn't want to integrate your changes somebody else could by
forking the project and integrating your patches into their fork or
they can just use your branch (or fork your branch). It's pretty
common for people to fork the code before using it if they think they
will make changes just so they can keep track of their work.

Github is a pretty good tool for this kind of stuff.

Manolo Carrasco Moñino

Dec 4, 2009, 6:36:08 AM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it is clear enough.

Then I'll create my fork and will notify you guys and Igal to review it.

Thank you very much.

Manolo

Igal Koshevoy

Dec 4, 2009, 2:49:12 PM12/4/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to join the discussion a bit late.

Thanks for the interest. What kind of things do these classes and
methods do?

If you're hoping to change how Automateit works, it's best to try to add
classes/methods to files in your project's "lib" directory, so that you
can run a stock copy of AutomateIt with your modifications. Because this
is Ruby, you can go as far as overriding or altering the behavior of
existing code from these library files, so this is quite powerful. If I
later decide to incorporate your feature, it's really easy for me to
incorporate contents of a library into AutomateIt. See
http://automateit.org/documentation/classes/AutomateIt/Project.html

If you're either willing to run your own fork of AutomateIt or have
talked with me and are sure that I'll accept the patch, then fork
AutomateIt itself and send me patches or Github pull requests. See
http://github.com/automateit/automateit

If you're altering how the osbp_automateit project works, because you
happen to be running a similar site, go ahead and fork it and submit
patches or pull requests when fixing something. See
http://github.com/igal/osbp_automateit

If you're doing something else, it may be best to publish your own git
repository somewhere and announce it to the list. It may make sense to
add a page or wiki to the site where people can add their contributed
recipes, libraries and such -- things like osbp_automateit code.

-igal

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Dec 15, 2009, 10:43:58 AM12/15/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

As Tim suggested, I've created a clon of automateit in github
[http://github.com/manolo/automateit/].

This fork includes these changes:
1.- PackageManager: gem.rb. A change in order to user rubygems
instead of external command gem.
2.- DownloadManager: download_if_modified . It sends a head command to
the http server and compares the remote size with the local one
downloading it in case of modification.
3.- ShellManager: sys. It executes an external command and raises an
exception with the output of the command in the case of failure.
4.- TransferManager: scp and rsync. This new manager handles transfers
using ruby net/scp or rsync command.

I'd like you to review them and give me feedback if they are useful
and if it would be possible to include in automateit.

There are more utility methods I'd like to add to the core but I've to
clean them before.

Thanks in advance.
Manolo

Tim Uckun

Dec 15, 2009, 3:35:50 PM12/15/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com

> I'd like you to review them and give me feedback if they are useful
> and if it would be possible to include in automateit.
>
> There are more utility methods I'd like to add to the core but I've to
> clean them before.

Wow those sound really useful. Thanks for putting them up.