AutomateIt vs Puppet / Chef

SyRenity

Dec 28, 2009, 4:43:57 PM12/28/09
to AutomateIt
Hi.

Can anyone provide some information, how AutomateIt compares to
Puppet / Chef?

I understand that AutomateIt doesn't require any Server/Client
architecture but rather uses code repository which is a big plus for
me.

Also, I also read the comparison here (http://automateit.org/compare),
and understand that AutomateIt allows writing the the scripts in shell
language, rather then using Ruby, is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Uckun

Dec 28, 2009, 7:42:04 PM12/28/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
> Also, I also read the comparison here (http://automateit.org/compare),
> and understand that AutomateIt allows writing the the scripts in shell
> language, rather then using Ruby, is this correct?

Automateit is somewhat like chef solo. It has no "server" and you can
push your code to your servers any way you want (rsync, version
control etc). It's "just ruby". All you are doing is running ruby
code so anything you can do in ruby you can do in automateit.

I think it's the one with the least amount of extra stuff. You just
code in ruby and that's all.

Manuel Carrasco Moñino

Dec 29, 2009, 3:32:11 AM12/29/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
Hello, this is a good question for this foro.
I'm in a process of decision about which option to select for a large
project I'm involved with. I've tried puppet but I prefer automateit
because recipes and architecture are clearer for people who has to
maintain the project. About chef is growing up very fast, it's a very
active piece of code with many contributions. Unfortunately automateit
doesn't seem to have any activity, I've sent little code weeks ago and
no answer.

Cheers
Manolo

Tim Uckun

Dec 29, 2009, 5:12:22 AM12/29/09
to autom...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino
<man...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello, this is a good question for this foro.
> I'm in a process of decision about which option to select for a large
> project I'm involved with. I've tried puppet but I prefer automateit
> because recipes and architecture are clearer for people who has to
> maintain the project. About chef is growing up very fast,  it's a very
> active piece of code with many contributions. Unfortunately automateit
> doesn't seem to have any activity, I've sent little code weeks ago and
> no answer.

There is no question chef and puppet are more popular and have more
developers behind them. The puppet mailing list is at least an order
of magnitude more busy than the chef mailing list and the automateit
mailing list an order of magnitude less busy than the chef one.

Both of those projects also have more contributors. Automateit is
basically Igal's project but thanks to github you have also added your
code into the public.

Having said all that here are the reasons to choose automateit over
the others IMHO.

Automateit is simple. It's stable. It "just works". It's easier to
understand. It's easier to customize to your needs, it's easier to
deploy. It's easier to extend. It's the "most rubiest"

To me it's a good example of "make things simple as they need to be
but no simpler".

Having said that both puppet and chef are excellent tools each with
their strong points. They both do more than automateit does and you
may very well need those features.

If you decide to use one of those projects you may find automateit
useful for assuring your programs are running in a sane environment.
Just bundle it with you app and every time it runs it can run a set of
sanity checks to make sure all supporting packages are present and are
the right versions.