Facebook - which url is used for retrieving UTM tagging?

Claudia Kosny

Sep 1, 2015, 6:01:28 AM9/1/15
to Supermetrics
Hi there,

I am just testing the Supermetrics uploader for Facebook. Facebook has a field for destination url, a field for 'see more destination url' (for multi-image ads) and a field to add tracking parameters.
For dynamic product feed ads there might be even more url options - we have not tested these yet.

What data is used by Supermetrics to retrieve the UTM tagging for the cost import? I am asking because in our test import some clicks were attributed to the generic 'facebook / cpc' even though the destination url of the ads was tagged with different utm parameters.

Thank you and best regards

Claudia

Supermetrics Support

Sep 2, 2015, 9:57:03 AM9/2/15
to Supermetrics
We parse utm tags from the ad destination URL and from URL Tags. If you still experience the issue, please post details of your upload (account IDs) so we can look it up and check if there's something we can improve.

Jonatan Arroyo

Jun 28, 2016, 2:37:14 AM6/28/16
to Supermetrics
Hello, I have the same problem.

When I create ads, I put a url like this: http://goo.gl/1gZnSV
Which have all the utm parameters. However, when I go to analytics I see that the campaign name is the one set in facebook campaign name. I would like to have campaign name as in the utm.

Is that possible?

Mikael Thuneberg

Jun 28, 2016, 2:48:10 AM6/28/16
to automate...@googlegroups.com
What kind of ads are these? If you do promoted page posts, then URL parameters in post links are not passed through the FB API. We have notified FB of the issue, but they decided not to fix it: https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/1619204601645273/.

Jonatan Arroyo

Jun 28, 2016, 2:52:23 AM6/28/16
to Supermetrics
Is just regular ads...

Mikael Thuneberg

Jun 28, 2016, 3:00:04 AM6/28/16
to automate...@googlegroups.com
Can you include details of the upload (GA web property ID & custom data source ID), we can then check the situation.

Jonatan Arroyo

Jun 28, 2016, 3:26:40 AM6/28/16
to automate...@googlegroups.com
Mikael, it IS possible that I'm putting the shortened url in the url website destination and that is why super metrics is not recognizing utm?

Enviado desde mi iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Supermetrics" group.

Mikael Thuneberg

Jun 28, 2016, 4:59:39 AM6/28/16
to automate...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would definitely explain it. If you use a shortener, our system will not know the actual final URL.