broken sound level block / feature request

leoklein -

Mar 14, 2022, 3:45:29 AM3/14/22
to Automate
Hi,
I'm new to google groups, so I don't know if my message has already been sent on another old thread, but I cannot see it.

I'm trying to use automate as a long term noise logger, but the broken noise level block is hindering me.
As I understand it is working in the block-properties view because there it samples the audio input continuously (and longer) and finally the syste turns the mic "on".
So my feature request / proposal is: Add a property to the block to "sample data x seconds" before doing the actual measurement, which should fix this(?)

Would be great if this could be implemented! Btw: Great tool!
Best Regards, leo

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Mar 14, 2022, 9:07:37 AM3/14/22
to Automate
I'm aware of the problems with some devices recording silence, i'll rework it for continuous recording then only proceed when it's heard something, then i may also consider adding a sample duration field.

Manfred Simonet

May 5, 2022, 3:00:12 AM5/5/22
to Automate
Hi,

I'm using Automate for some years on my OnePlus 2 (for more than 6 years a valuable companion) and now moved to a new OnePlus 10Pro.
One flow adjusts ringer volume along surrounding noise level. This worked and still works fine on the OnePlus 2, however on the OnePlus 10Pro the values in the output variable are strange.

Let's say, in edit mode the block shows a sound level from the microphone of 50dB. That works fine on both devices. However, the output variable on the OnePlus 10Pro shows a value of something between 0.7 and 0.8. If it is louder the value might reach a value above 1.
That happens when source is "default" or "Microphone". However, choosing source "Output Mix" and playing some music, the output variable receives a proper dB value.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks,
Manfred

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

May 7, 2022, 12:39:08 PM5/7/22
to Automate
dB is a relative value so i guess is should expected, unless the microphone is calibrated.

Manfred Simonet

May 7, 2022, 3:55:16 PM5/7/22
to Automate
But why then in edit mode the block shows a proper dB value? It's just the output variable that shows that strange value.

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

May 10, 2022, 8:09:42 AM5/10/22
to Automate
That's probably because it samples continuously, so it's not noticeable if the device reports silence at the beginning of the sampling period, which some device seems to do.
Reworking how the sampling is done is on the to-do list.

Simonet, Manfred

Aug 7, 2022, 4:34:25 PM8/7/22
to automa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henrik,
Any news on the mic sound level issue?
Still the variable to store the sound level receives a value of 3. something, but in the block I can see much more ( see screenshot).
Thanks,
Manfred

Screenshot_2022-08-07-22-29-22-24_e6a78a44c2a4240c0ee4570124bdc575.jpg
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Aug 8, 2022, 5:27:07 AM8/8/22
to Automate
Sorry, no news, it's still on the to-do list. Using a minimum sound level should avoid the issue.

Simonet, Manfred

Aug 8, 2022, 8:19:44 AM8/8/22
to automa...@googlegroups.com, Henrik Lindqvist
Thanks, Henrik, for the hint.