[UX] Looking for best practice to silence flow's notification when sharing to community?

​ ​man

Jan 8, 2023, 6:36:51 AM1/8/23
to Automate
 Each [Dialog…] block and [Sound play] block generate a notification (in notification drawer) and Android notification sound – this is undesirable for [Sound play] block and usually irritating with many [Dialog…] blocks. I use specific Notification channels ("Normal", "Silent", "Off" etc.) but when I share the flow to community I need to do something for user to know  that this is not a bug, he must do it himself and tell him how to set this up or where he can read a manual for this.
 What would be the best approach? To make easy and automatic? First thing – use [Notification channel pick] block and store the variable of silent channel for use in those [Dialog…] and [Sound play] blocks. BUT user has to create such channel before. Can I guide user in it? How to point him to settings page? Is there any link I can give, that describes where and how to do it? Any manual?

​ ​man

Jan 8, 2023, 6:50:35 AM1/8/23
to Automate
Well, that's weird, because I remember having to deal a bit with settings to get rid of the Android notification sound while making a flow that played a sound, but there must've been something else, that made problems… :l Nevermind, the channel picking issue described in previous post is still valid for many subsequent Dialog boxes.

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Jan 8, 2023, 6:59:04 AM1/8/23
to Automate
The Sound play block shouldn't show a notification if leave the Notification channel field empty.
If you don't want a dialog block to show a notification, then create and use a notification channel that has the Show notifications option disabled, see Automate Notification channel setting.

​ ​man

Jan 8, 2023, 7:09:11 AM1/8/23
to Automate
I know I can set a Notification channel but, as I understand, this is only local setting, for me. When I share flow to community, this won't work for other users, they have to create their own Notifications channels and set them manually on their phones.

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Jan 8, 2023, 1:21:39 PM1/8/23
to Automate
Make the flow ask for a notification channel to use at start.

​ ​man

Apr 16, 2024, 6:22:17 PMApr 16
to Automate for Android
Assuming I have to deal with an Automate-newbie, best what I found is:
1) inform the user that to turn off notifications (or notification sound only) he has to choose a (custom) Notification channel for each flow separately
2) if he has such channel, I should let him choose one with Notification channel pick (e.g. for specific dialogs only) or tell him to do it under the flow's description (for whole flow)
3) if not – point him (with App start block) directly to com.llamalab.automate.prefs.NotificationSettingsActivity  (and maybe describe what to do there).
How can I link to internal Automate help to point user directly to e.g. notification_channel?

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 17, 2024, 9:44:44 AMApr 17
to Automate for Android
The Notification channel pick block has an + button that let the user create a new channel.
Then to let the user configure the channel, try using the App start block with action= "android.settings.CHANNEL_NOTIFICATION_SETTINGS" and extras= { "android.provider.extra.APP_PACKAGE":"com.llamalab.automate", "android.provider.extra.CHANNEL_ID":uuidOfPickedNotificationChannel }

​ ​man

Apr 17, 2024, 5:00:06 PMApr 17
to Automate for Android
Nice! Thank you, that works perfect <3