Flip to DND Flow not working. What am I doing wrong?

David Damian

Jul 14, 2021, 3:59:12 PM7/14/21
to Automate
I'm trying to make a Flow that essentially does what the app Flip does. However, I'm unable to get it to work on purpose, as sometimes the flow will activate (I hear the beep) when I'm climbing up stairs or something like that. I believe the flow is OK, at least I can't find anything logically wrong with it. However, when I put my phone face down it still won't work, according to the logs it does change the interruptions setting, but I hear no beep or vibration and when I test it, DND is definitely not on. I share the flow with you here. This is one of my first flows, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bushmills

Jul 14, 2021, 4:26:41 PM7/14/21
to Automate

So now we only have to figure out what the app "Flip" does - I suppose it has something to do with putting your phone face down on a flat surface, but I'm only guessing here.

David Damian

Jul 14, 2021, 6:09:49 PM7/14/21
to Automate
Yes, that's indeed what it does.

But I want to do it via flows.

Bushmills

Jul 14, 2021, 8:08:00 PM7/14/21
to Automate
Seems that a "Device orientation?" action is what you're looking for, with Pitch and Roll set to 180, and a Tolerance of your choice.  The "Yes" branch of that action would be executed when device is put flat, face down. The "No"-branch is followed when device is lifted up again.

David Damian

Jul 14, 2021, 8:42:38 PM7/14/21
to Automate
Yes. That's the way I have it, however, for some reason I cannot understand, it is not getting executed when the conditions are met. That's what's driving me crazy.

Bushmills

Jul 15, 2021, 4:37:20 AM7/15/21
to Automate
Do the orientation values, as shown below "Current values" in "Device orientation" block appear to be correct?

David Damian

Jul 15, 2021, 9:32:51 PM7/15/21
to Automate
Yes they do. Sometimes the flow will start seemingly randomly but I see no reason why it doesn't work when it should, I have a 15-degree tolerance, so it's not a question of being too strict with the conditions. Also I noticed that when the flow does activate, DND is not turned off for some reason.

Bushmills

Jul 16, 2021, 2:29:43 AM7/16/21
to Automate

That eliminates the most likely problem condition. You may want to partition problem domain now, say, by assigning roll and pitch to variables in the "Device orientation" block, then log both Yes and No branches with time, condition and output of these variables. This should give an indication  whether the problem is with sensor or device orientation block, or with flow logic.