Flow ideas for demonstration/tutorial videos

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 28, 2021, 1:02:55 AM4/28/21
to Automate
I'm considering making some demonstration videos, mostly for marketing purpose at first, but likely some basic tutorial videos later. But i need ideas of simple flows to present. Some requirements:
  • Doesn't take too long to make, a few minutes at most, probably not more than 10 blocks.
  • Doesn't involve third-party apps, except Google apps maybe, at least not for the initial videos.
  • The purpose/result of running the flow should be visible on screen.
  • Not using blocks requiring a rooted device or ADB, at least not for the initial videos.
  • Probably not contain too complex expressions.
  • Preferably it should be useful for most users, and work on most Android versions.

Got any suggestions of such a flow?

thomasn...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 3:52:30 PM4/28/21
to Automate
Based on a flow I made for myself: Every morning, show a list of events happening that day in a list dialog, from one or more user-selected calendars (my use case is to show all my contacts' birthdays that day from multiple accounts, which Google exposes as a calendar for each account).
To extend the idea further, pressing on a contact opens the default SMS app with the contact's number prefilled and a template "Happy birthday {name}!"
To simplify the idea, only use one calendar which will be hard-coded in the flow. (Suggestion: in the video, put a "homework assignment" to add multiple calendar selection)
The main features I used for this:
  • File storage, to store a list of the interested calendars (just an array of the content://com.android.calendar/... URIs)
  • Await time
  • Calendar blocks: Has Event & Calendar Pick
  • Choice dialog
  • Arrays
  • For each block

Is that sort of what you're looking for?

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 28, 2021, 10:43:22 PM4/28/21
to Automate
Thanks for the suggestion.
A "birthday" flow has the right scope, only a few blocks, useful by most.
The major obstacle is that the Birthday calendar has to be enabled prior, and only on the Google Calendar web edition, i think.

klok wert

Apr 29, 2021, 6:32:48 AM4/29/21
to automa...@googlegroups.com
I made a simple flow that enables you to take notes with google assistant.
This flow includes all the basic stuff:
expressions
forks
atomics
arrays
message/choice dialogs

but also some less basic stuff:
google assistant action
speech recognition

Please note that this flow is made in Alpha 1.29.0

Arena Closer

Apr 29, 2021, 6:36:39 AM4/29/21
to Automate
The first flow I ever tried to make with just a little python experience was a weather flow. What is good about that as a tutorial is that you can make it as easy or complex as you like, but it still uses basic operations one needs to know.

A simple version of mine, that can be further simplified for the tutorials sake, is https://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/33317. It should at least feature a choice between “manually pick location on map” and “get current GPS location”, the last one with a failure catch. After reverse geocoding (maybe using the users system language), get the weather for each 6 hours (e.g. 0,6,12) and add details to array. Finally, show array[0], array[1] and array[2] in a message dialog (or in notification, whatever).

This should teach beginners how to use:
  • failure catch
  • get setting (system language) and use in reverse geocode block
  • saving lat/long variables to use in reverse geocode and weather block
  • for each in some numbers
  • add text to array and retrieve array[0] etc
  • for more complexity: use inline if/else statements for weather details, e.g. clouds > 50 ? "☁️" : "☀️"
Let me know what you think! :)

Arena Closer

Apr 29, 2021, 6:46:49 AM4/29/21
to Automate
Btw, I know you said “Doesn't involve third-party apps”. Does that include the use of API’s? Personally, I enjoy working with API’s as you can get any information from them (https://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/33988).

In a tutorial it would mean using an Input dialog (maybe store the input in atomics and retrieve when flow started again to save last input), a HTTP request to an API with the input as parameter, some jsonDecode and forEach stuff, and finally a message/web dialog with the information.

Now I’m thinking of any API that doesn’t require a key, all I can think of is the xkcd.com api lol

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 29, 2021, 4:38:36 PM4/29/21
to Automate
I'll surely make an Google Assistant flow, probably not at first, for use as Play Store promo, since it rely on a third-party app.
"Note taking" may not be the best example, since Google Assistant can already do that, with a "note to self..." command.

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 29, 2021, 10:37:23 PM4/29/21
to Automate
The result could be interesting, visually at least, showing a map and dialogs. But the purpose, weather, may not be that useful since many launchers already display it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to the list.

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Apr 29, 2021, 10:40:48 PM4/29/21
to Automate
Third-party APIs probably isn't an obstacle if they're free/open, but displaying copyrighted movie posters or comic strips in the Play Store listing or on Youtube isn't a good idea.