How to wake device by conditional or event (not timer)?

Peter O'Connor

Jan 13, 2023, 11:24:59 AM1/13/23
to Automate
For context- I have an old tablet that I'm using for some basic home automation tasks, but the power button is difficult to access, and I would love an easier way to wake the device. I've been trying to implement the newer android "tap to wake" type functionality, but have been unable to find an existing app that works on the device. I don't know if it's the age of the device/os that's the problem, the fact that it's a custom rom, or what.

In automate, the only block or piece of functionality I've found that will actually wake the device once it's gone to sleep is the wake at the end of a delay block. Which makes sense as I'm sure the delay function is tied to the system rtc, whereas any decision making capability relies on the cpu, which is asleep.

Does anyone know of any kind of workaround that I'm missing?

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Jan 13, 2023, 11:51:03 AM1/13/23
to Automate
A "tap to wake" feature requires that the device keeps the touch part of the screen working while its is off, which is probably a newer kind of hardware feature that few old device support.
Anyhow it's not a feature a regular app could access.